CHURCHES

Please click on image to view more images† and/or more information

 

†Congregational United Church of Christ

 

St. John's Lutheran Church

 

St. Lawrence the Martyr R.C. Church

 

St. Ann's Episcopal Church

 

United Methodist Church

 

 

First (Dutch) Reformed Church

 

Christian Reformed Church

 

 

Church Charity Foundation Children's Cottages

 

Return to start of page

__________________

Congregational Church (United Church of Christ)
131 Middle Road

 

First church, erected 1847
(See below for credit to source)

 



New church, built 1888
Postcard postmarked July 21, 1906, from the collection of Sayville Library.

 

Early parishioners, 1889
(See below for credit to source)

 

Church and rectory, erected 1872
Undated postcard from the collection of Sayville Library.


After years of travelling to Patchogue for services, Sayville's Congregationalists (including Edwards, Greens, Terrys and Woodhulls) built their own Church on South Main Street in 1848. In 1849, parishioners joined with the Methodist Episcopal Church to purchase land on the east side of North Main Street for a new Union Cemetery. However, services continued to be conducted by Patchogue ministers until May 1864 when the first resident one arrived. An early rectory east of the Church was replaced in 1872 and it currently houses the Church offices and library (right photo). As the congregation grew, the Church became overcrowded and the parish had to utilize nearby Columbia Hall for many of its events. Consequently, the original building was eventually sold to W.J. Terry, moved to the west side of Railroad Avenue about Center Street (not cut through until 1922), and became the first office of The Suffolk County News. It was replaced by the much needed, larger building designed by I.H. Green and built by Deacon Robert Nunns (for less than $ 15,000) in 1888 (shown above). In 1955, a new parish hall extended the rear of the Church; it was two stories and provided an auditorium and classrooms to accomodate the many varied activities. In 1957, the Church merged with the Evangelical and Reformed to become the United Church of Christ.
For further details, see Nancy Kane, A History of the Sayville Congregational United Church of Christ. †
East Patchogue, NY: Searle Graphics, 1990

Photos 1847 and 1889 from Book above.
Postcards from collection of Sayville Library: 1888 postmarked July 21, 1906; 1872 unmarked


Return to start of page

________________

St. John's Lutheran Church
48 Green Avenue

 

First parsonage and Church, dedicated August 14, 1898
Postcard postmarked July 4, 1916, from the collection of Sayville Library.

 

 

Church, card postmarked August 20, 1915
Postcard postmarked August 20, 1915, from the collection of Sayville Library.

†††

†††

Celebratory Plate hand-painted by parishioner
(See below for credit to source)

 

Celebratory plate hand-painted by parishioner
(See below for credit to source)

††††



New building, dedicated August 25, 1967
(See below for credit to source)

 

 

Church & Youth Hall, dedicated October 1,1967
(See below for credit to source)

Around 1890, the growing German community was being served by a Lutheran pastor from Lindenhurst who journeyed here each Sunday and held services in St. Ann's Parish House.  Then, on July 25th, 1897 the group welcomed their first full-time pastor, Theodore Budenthal, who came from Missouri.  In August 1897, the Parish was organized and a constitution adopted.  The following year, contracts were let for construction of the original Church ($ 1,650) and Parsonage ($ 975) on upper Greene Avenue next to "Old '88"; the new building was dedicated on August 14th, 1898.  Worship was conducted in German and later also in English; German-language services  were discontinued in January 1942.  Following only hours after a church expansion meeting , the original structure was destroyed by fire around midnight, April 19th, 1955.  Services were held in Sayville High School Auditorium until the new building was dedicated on August 25th, 1957.  This was followed by the Parish House and Youth Building on October 1st, 1967.  Since that time, the organization has further expanded, acquiring two properties directly across the street which are utilized for classes and schools.   

 Postcards from collection of †Sayville Library: left postmarked July 4th, 1916, †right postmarked August 20th, 1915. †
Plates hand painted by long time member of church. †


Photos: left courtesy of St. Johnís, right by Webb Morrison (2013)

Return to start of page

____________________

 

St. Lawrence the Martyr Roman Catholic Church
212 †Main Street

 


First Mass June 2, 1895 in abandoned Methodist Church, 85 North Main Street

 

Church, dedicated October 11, 1896 and Rectory, built 1899
Postmarked March 8, 1915, from the collection of Sayville Library.

 

School, built 1922; Auditorium, built 1912; and Church
Undated postcard from the collection of Sayville Library. 

 

Auditorium, Church and† Rectory, about 1950

 

School and Church

 

New St. Lawrence Parish Church, dedicated October 25, 1970

New Church, dedicated October 25, 1970

 

A Roman Catholic Parish was formed in Sayville in 1895 and the first Mass was held in the abandoned Methodist Church on North Main Street on June 2nd (rented for $ 25 a month; now Connetquot Lodge).  Their new Church on the east side of Handsome Avenue at Main Street was completed (for $ 15,000) and dedicated on October 11th, 1896.  To the east of the Church, an adjacent Rectory was built in 1899 and a large auditorium in 1912 (top right above).  In the fall of 1921, the School Sisters of Notre Dame introduced a new elementary parochial school, housed in the partitioned auditorium..  In 1922, the school (later known as Prince of Peace) and its 99 students were moved to a new eight-room brick building built next door to the east.  The auditorium was demolished in 1960, allowing for expansion of the school.  Both  Church and Rectory were destroyed by fire on April 25, 1967 and a more modernistic building was built on newly acquired land on the west side of the Avenue, replacing the Pine Grove Inn. It was dedicated in October 25th, 1970.  Today, the Church campus covers about 6.5 acres and the Statue of Mary, which graced the entrance to the old building, graces the new one.  The School was closed in 2012.

Postcards from collection of the Sayville Library: top right postmarked March 8, 1915; others undated.

Photo of new Church from Parish website

Return to start of page

 ___________________

 

St. Ann's Episcopal Church
257 Middle Road

 

 St Barnabas Chapel, 1875; Parish Hall, 1887

 

 

Church, postmarked August 15, 1907

 

Church, postmarked December 12, 1908

 

 

Rectory, built 1878, moved to above location 1922

 

Church, postcard undated

 

 

Church, postmarked September 5, 1945

 

Church, postcard undated

 

 

St. Ann's, postmarked† July 7, 1960

 

 

In 1845, the Town of Islip had only two churches, one being St. John's in Oakdale of which Sayville was a Mission.  Hoping to reach more young people, Mr. Douglas, the Minister, started a day school in Oak Hall, the second floor of the Foster House, in August 1964. In 1866, with help from parishioner John R. Suydam, the Church purchased 12 1/2 acres on the north side of South Main Street  and built a small  building, St. John's Academy; it was used for both Sunday services and the day school . The next year the name was changed to St. Barnabas' Chapel and the first service was held on November 7th, 1866.  In July 1973, the Rev. John H. Prescott was sent by the Bishop to serve both this Parish and St. Paul's in  Patchogue; he remained here for 48 years.  Then John R. Suydam requested another  name change to St. Ann's (in honor of his wife).  In 1875, Mr. Prescott set aside about half of all Church property and organized St. Ann's Cemetery. The Rectory was constructed  adjacent to the Church in 1878 (and moved back from the Highway in 1922). In fall 1887, the existing Chapel was moved to the northeast to be used as a Parish House and the present stone structure, designed by Vestryman I.H. Green, was constructed; it was donated by Walter L. Suydam and his sister, Mrs. R. Fulton Cutting, as a memorial to their parents.  The Parish House, severely damaged by fire February 23rd, 1943, was rebuilt and re-dedicated on February 20th, 1944; it was again destroyed by fire on July 28th, 1959 and re-built.  Immediately following that conflagration, the Church decided to buy the Children's Cottage (q.v.) property across the street for supplemental space.

For further details see:† Charles G. Stevenson , But As Yesterday, The Early Life and Times of St. Ann's Church.† Sayville: The Rector, Wardens and Vestry of St. Ann's Church, 1967†††††††

Postcards from collection of Sayville Library

Return to start of page

____________

United Methodist Church
166 Main Street

 



1st Church, North Main St, built 1848

 



2
nd Church, from west, dedicated August 20, 1893

 



Church, postmarked July 28, 1908

 

Church, †postmarked September 7, 1909

 



Church, †from west, undated
(From the Collection of Tony Brinkman)

 

 



Church, undated postcard




Church today
(From the United Methodist Church)

Prior to October 1848, Methodist services were conducted either in private homes or in the schoolhouse by an itinerant "circuit preacher" who appeared every two to four weeks.  Then the Methodist Society purchased land on North Main Street and erected the first Methodist Episcopal Church for a total cost of $ 1,000.  In 1849,  parishioners joined with the Congregational Church to purchase land for a new Union Cemetery. In 1860 and again in 1883, the original building was considered too small and was extended.  Finally on May 9th, 1892 land was acquired at Main Street and Greene Avenue and a new Church designed by I.H. Green was constructed; it was dedicated on August 20th, 1893.  In 1938, the Church spire was struck by lightning and then damaged by a hurricane which necessitated its removal.  The last (right) photo above shows not only the Church but also the attached rectory in the rear...In 1895, the old Church was used temporarily by the new Catholic parish, awaiting completion of their own edifice.  It was later acquired by Charles R. Brown who, as a Brother in its fraternity, donated it to the Connetquot Masonic Lodge.  The Lodge rehabilitated and renovated the old building and it is still its home today. 

 

Postcards from collection of Sayville Library; †Lower right from the collection of Tony Brinkman.
Photo of new Church from Church website

Return to start of page

______________ 

First (Dutch) Reformed Church

 



1st Church, 55 Main St., West Sayville

 



2
nd Church,† 38 Cherry Ave, West Sayville

 



3rd Church, 38 Cherry Ave., West Sayville




New Life, 380 Lakeland Ave., Sayville

The first Hollanders arrived in this area (first to Oakdale) about 1850.  The first services in the Dutch language were held in private homes there and then in the Sayville schoolhouse.  Following a collection of $ 120, in 1876, they built their first Church at 55 Main Street, West Sayville; services continued to be in Dutch until 1919...  In 1908, a new structure was built on Cherry Avenue and the original building was sold to Emerson Peppard who had a Moving business (See Businesses - West Sayville; it is now an Islip Town Official Landmark. The first Cherry Avenue edifice burned down on November 18th, 1933 and was replaced on the same site by a new one, dedicated on October 24th, 1934.  In 1974, the Church adopted a new name, New Life Community, and in March 1985 moved to its new buildings and campus at 380 Lakeland Avenue in Sayville...The Cherry Avenue building is now the home of St. Mary's Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church.

 

For further details see: Coster, David L., A History of the First Reformed Church of West Sayville, N.Y., 1866-1966. West Sayville, 1966

Coster, David L., A History of New Life Community Church, 1866-1991. West Sayville, NY,The Anniversary Committee, 1991 †

Photos from above publications except 2ndChurch from collection of Tony Brinkmannn

Return to start of page  

_________________

Christian Reformed Church (West Sayville Reformed Bible Church)

 



1
st Church, 52 Atlantic Ave, built 1878; card postmarked October 10, 1917, from the collection of Sayville Library

 




Church and rectory, undated




2
nd Church, 31 Rollstone Ave, built 1968


In 1857, some Dutch emigrees in Michigan, dissatisfied with the Reformed Church in America, formed the "True Holland Reformed Church" and in 1876 some of the local Hollanders, also dissatisfied, petitioned the Classis (church governing group) of Michigan of the True Dutch Reformed Church to join them; in response, the Classis sent a "committee for organizing a congregation in this locality" and the True Holland Church of Sayville, N.Y. was adopted on September 17th, 1876. In 1878, the location name waschanged to Greenville (as West Sayville was known at that time). In that year, the congregation also purchased land at 52 Atlantic Avenue and built and dedicated its new Church on July 25/26. However, it did not receive its first pastor until 1890. The Holland language was used exclusively in all activities until 1912 when a gradual change to English began; Dutch was finally phased out in 1931. On November 23rd, 1939 the name was changed again and the Church reincorporated as the Christian Reformed Church of West Sayville. In March 1944, a Society for Christian Instruction was formed; additional property was purchased on Rollstone Avenue, a new school building was completed in December 1948 and classes at the West Sayville Christian School began. The Church relocated to a larger brick building at 31 Rollstone Avenue adjacent to the School in 1968.

Postcards from collection of the Sayville Library; †photo bottom from Church website

Return to start of page  

__________________

Church Charity Foundation Children's Cottages
262 Middle Road





Arthur House (built 1880s),
gateway to property when Church Charity received it in† 1923





Gray House & Burgess, 1924




Residents, Spring 1925





The Girls, Later (see below)

Prior the Civil War, Dr. George Brush married Margaret Smith and they purchased the land on South Main Street across from (present day) St. Ann's Church. Their son, George Jr., died at the age of eleven. Consequently, when the Brushes died, their property went to her cousin, Ida Gillette. Having learned that the CCF Episcopal orphanage in Brooklyn had burned several years previously, in 1921 she donated the six and one-half acre property to them for use a new one. On December 1st, 1923, the cornerstone was laid for the first Cottage of the Brush Memorial. The first "inmates" moved in on July 5th, 1924; girls in the Brush Cottage and boys in the Gray House, built in the 1880s as the Arthur family and already on the property. In June 1926, the Swett Cottage, designated for boys, was completed. Each were designed as a home for 20 children. At the outset, it was stipulated that "The institution was not to be known as an orphanage as it was intended to provide a suitable home for any needy children of the Long Island Diocese". For financial reasons, the Cottages closed in June 1943 and for the next five years were used as a summer camp. On August 24th, 1948, they were re-opened by the Brothers of St. Joseph as Episcopal Home for Boys but they also encountered financial problems and shut down in June 1954. After St. Ann's Parish House burned on July 28th 1959, it purchased them to be used for the Sunday school and meetings... Today, they house St. Ann's Thrift Shop and the Sayville Project and the Gray House is long gone...On back of the right photo of "the girls", in script is signature "June R." Below that in child's non-cursive handwriting are other names: "Edith Coddington, Vita L., Ruth R., Ruth H., Mary Whitehouse and June" Brown"with no indication of orientation. Below that, in pen, is "Sayville, N.Y. 1940 (?)".

 

Photo of Arthur House from Suffolk County News;
all others from Jack Whitehouse
, Sayville Orphan Heroes: The Cottages of St. Ann's. Charleston,SC: The History Press, 2001

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††Return to start of page   ††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††