HOTELS and BOARDING HOUSES*
(*Some had multiple names)

 Please click on thumbnail image to view larger image and/or more information

 

 


cedar shore

Cedarshore Hotel


The Inn

Davis Inn, Elms Inn, The Inn


The Delavan


The Elmore


Foster House


Holborn Hall, Seaside Cottage


 Kensington Hotel

Kensington Hotel, Hamlin House, Bedell Hotel


 Oakland House, Groh Homestead



Prospect Farm Hotel


Sea Side House Seaside House, Hotel Hamlyn, Lafayette, Candee Inn



South Bay Hotel South Bay House, Shoreham 1


 Tidewater Inn

  Tidewater Inn, Shoreham 2

 

 Return to start of page

 ____________

Cedarshore Casino, Cottages, & Hotel

Handsome Avenue, east side at the Bay

 




 

 

  Powell Homestead, built early 1880s

 

 

  Powell Barn at shore to become Club, 1914

 

305 Handsome Ave, built 1914-1916 with Caretakers's Cottage right rear

 

299 Handsome Ave, built 1914-1916 with  Powell Homestead left rear 

 

  277-279 Handsome Ave, built 1914 for sisters, double-house

 

 
 259 Handsome Ave, built 1914-1915

 

16 (built on site) & 12 Elm St (built on Shore) 20 Elm (also built Shore, not shown, to left)

 

  Musicians’ (left) & Caretakers' Cottage (right) & Gayle Livingston, September 1938


Cedarshore Casino, 1915. Cottage(left center) among trees is future 12 Elm St


 Cedarshore Hotel & Casino, Summer 1924

 

CEDARSHORE CASINO AND COTTAGES: George A. Morrison acquired the six-acre David B. Powell Estate (called "Cedarshore") at the foot of Handsome Avenue in February 1913; it stretched from Elm Street to the Bay and halfway back to Greene Avenue.  That summer, he opened the Cedarshore (beach) Club housed in the Powell Barn (which had been moved to the shore) and began construction of nine cottages (seven still standing).  A new two-story Casino attached to the original barn was completed in 1914 with 160 bathhouses downstairs and a dancing pavilion, a dining area, a card room and a Bay viewing porch upstairs. In 1916, two cottages facing the Bay were moved north to become 12 and 20 Elm Street; they were replaced by the Powell Homestead, which was then enlarged as the first Hotel.  However, just before opening, it was destroyed by fire June 4th, 1917.  WW I and other factors discouraged Morrison's second attempt until 1924 when he built  new a four-story hotel, again adjoining the original Casino. (Also see Sayville: Main Street to Bay for more pictures and info on Cedarshore Beach Club.)

 

 

Some guests arrived, some went sightseeing by air from beach at foot of  Handsome Ave, 1930s

 

Tennis court, lawn, and screened front porch with rockers were enjoyed, 1920s.Summer House moved to beach, 1930

 

Lawn for games and relaxation


Beach for sun or swim


Two piers for boating or diving


Main Lounge


Sunroom and Bay Overlook, fifth floor,  for quiet and postcard writing, 1925


New Main Dining Room, three sides overlooking Bay (after 1930)


Masquerades in the Ballroom were popular in the 1920s and 1930

  Elliott Morrison chats with band leader Lee Kuhn in Marine Grill, 1938


So were Sunday Night Buffets in the Marine Grill (Ship's Bar in background)


  Cedarshore Hotel and Casino, 1940

 

CEDARSHORE HOTEL:    A fifth floor with a Sun Room at the south end overlooking the Bay was added to the Hotel in 1925 for a total of about 150 guest rooms. In the 1920s and 1930s, the Cedarshore Hotel and Beach Club became a local center of summer social activities and, in the winter of 1929-1930, the Casino was extended further out over the water and the Main Dining Room replaced the Bay Overlook on the second floor; at the end of prohibition in 1934, the Marine Grill replaced some of the bathouses on the first level. After death of  G.A. Morrison in 1931, his son George Elliott assumed management. For some years, Elliott had had an interest in keeping at least part of the Hotel opened year-round because "there was no first class hotel on the South Shore that could offer all rooms with bath at commercial rates through nine months of the year. " The nearest was the Henry Perkins at Riverhead, 38 miles to the east in the center of the Island...doing a capacity business with rates of three dollars single, five dollars double." Consequently, in the spring of 1938, he added a large stone fireplace in the Main Lounge and, adjacent to the Lounge, the Candid Camera Bar.  Unfortunately, he died in November 1938. Thus, for 1939 and 1940, Cedarshore was leased to Edwin Mills of Southold; although the Beach Club and Casino were opened in the summer of 1940, the Hotel was not. Thereafter, the property changed hands several times under various owners and names.  In 1942, it was acquired by the  NY Herald Tribune Fresh Air Fund which installed an outdoor pool at the east end of the beach and operated a summer camp for under-privileged girls through 1946.  Thereafter, it reverted to a hotel again, operating as the Sayville Manor & Beach Club (1947-1953), Sayville Hotel & Beach Club (1953-1954), Sayville Shore Club (1955-58) and Bayview Plaza Hotel (1958-1959).] The Hotel burned to the ground September 29th, 1959, said to have "marked the end of the grand resort on the Great South Bay".

All photos above from Cedarshore at Sayville: Casino, Cottages and Hotel”, compiled, written and edited by Webb N. Morrison.  Sayville, 2012. For more information on Cedarshore, please click here.

 

 

Return to start of page

____________

Davis Inn, The Inn, Elms Inn

101 Elm Street



The Inn, postcards before 1908

 


  The Davis Inn, postmarked August 1919

 

DAVIS INN (THE INN, THE ELMS INN) Frank and Maria Davis were actors who summered locally between winter engagements. From 1897 through 1901 they rented 241 Candee Avenue, the Seaside Hotel cottage later a/k/a The Holborn, which they operated as Davis Cottage, a boarding house. In September 1902, they purchased land at the corner of Candee Avenue and Elm Street and over that winter built a new hotel known as Inn or, later, the Davis Inn; it opened in June 1903 and became very popular among the theatrical community. After Frank's death in May 1922, in December 1925, Mrs. Davis sold the property to James L. Meeks, President of the Fort Hamilton Savings Bank, who wished to build a private residence on the land;. However, apparently that did not happen; it appears that they made some alterations in 1929 but continued to use it as a summer residence (they had others in Brooklyn and Westchester) until about 1940. In 1942, Union Savings Bank advertised it on a "Sacrifice Price List" and in November 1944, Lillian Robinson sold it to Henry W. Brendel (who then owned the present Lands End and several other local properties). In October 1947, it was being advertised as The Elms Inn as a"Perfect for Private Parties" with a Hammond Organ available. In November 1950, Brendel conveyed the Inn to Bay Shore Federal Savings and Loan. Tr was then purchased by Rose H. Geiger, a nurse, who opened it again as The Elms Inn for that season and then re-opened as the Sayville Nursing Home the following year (See Sayville: Main Street to the Bay).  The original building was demolished in 1968 and replaced by the Good Samaritan Nursing Home.

Postcards from collection of Sayville Library


Return to start of page

________________

Delavan Hotel

286 Foster Avenue

 

 

The Delavan, about 1890

 

The Delavan, postmarked September 1908

 

THE DELAVAN:    In the early 1880s. Andrew D. Foster, a Swedish immigrant who already had built and owned the Foster House on South Main Street, bought 18 acres of the old Gordon estate and small house which was long there; the property stretched from Edwards to what was to be Foster Avenue, just below Edwards Street.  The house became the first section  of the "new" Hotel Delavan.  Then he had local architect Isaac H. Green design the extended Hotel, built in 1883, and persuaded the Town to open Foster Avenue.   The Hotel at "286" had four stories, 75 guestrooms in the main building and adjacent cottages, ballroom, horse stables, bicycle house, tennis courts, and children's playground.  After Foster's death in February 1907, his wife leased the premises to Mrs. M.H. Holborn and her son Walter (also see Holborn Hall) for four seasons and then to Alfred Sykes who managed it through 1915.  In 1916, Sykes now engaged in managing his and Paul Groh's new Tidewater Inn, Mrs. Ann Foster leased The Delavan to Clarence M. Rogers; in 1919, Charles M. Rogers, former Supervisor of Islip Town, and family bought the property, rebuilt and enlarged the hotel, and continued to manage The Delavan into the late 20th century. The main building was destroyed by fire on New Years Eve 1932/33, at a loss estimated at $60,000 to $ 70,000; insurance was said to cover $ 35,000 to $ 40,000. Thereafter, the Delavan operation continued in two large year-round cottages on the property. These buildings still stand.

 

Postcards from collection of the Sayville Library

 

Return to start of page

_____________ 

Elmore Hotel
244 Handsome Avenue

 

 

From the south, about 1905

 

From the northeast, about 1918

 

THE ELMORE:   After Charles Hulse, local builder and contractor, opened up Handsome Avenue in1885, his son-in-law, Thomas Overington, built the four-story, 65-guest room Hotel at the corner of Jones Drive and operated it until 1889 when James D. Spalding, formerly of Shelter Island, bought it and ran it until his death in February 1900; he was succeeded by his son, William C., who managed it until 1905.  The Hotel offered bowling alleys, tennis courts, horses from its own barn (which could also accommodate vehicles), a seven-hole golf course, and access to its own bath houses and dock on the Bay. In November 1905, John Davis Secor purchased the property for about $ 22,000 and managed it until it closed after its last summer in September 1934.  During this period, he made continuing improvements and expansions, most notably adding a casino and a cottage in 1906, converting the old barn and laundry into a garage for autos with servants quarters upstairs in 1908, and substantially extending the building to the north to encompass a large ballroom and eight new sleeping rooms with private baths in 1922. On July 16th, 1935, the Hotel and its entire contents were auctioned off and the cottage was offered for "sale and removal". Remaining buildings were then demolished.

 

Postcards from collections of: left, Sayville Library and right, Tony Brinkmann

Return to start of page

________________

Foster House

80 South Main Street

 

 

 

FOSTER HOUSE Originally built 1863 by Andrew W. Foster, a Swedish immigrant, on south side of South Main Street (near present Collins Avenue) . It was his home but he also had his tailor shop and ice cream and candy shop on the ground floor; the second floor was a large hall used for dances, public meetings, other special events, and for the early meetings of St. Barnabas Chapel and its affiliate, St John's Academy, an Episcopal day school, while they awaited completion of their own building. In, 1876, Foster renovated the structure, adding 14 guest rooms, a dining room "in connection with a first-class bar" and ample stabling for transient customers, converting the structure into a year-round hotel. In 1888, with his Delevan well-established, Foster turned over the proprietorship of the Foster House to James F. Rorke whose advertisements promised "Fine line of choice wines, liquors and cigars...Every accommodation given and special attention paid to commercial travelers, fishing parties, and transient visitors". Rorke - with the exception of about three years in the early 1890s when he had sold his lease to William Harris - continued until 1905 when he was succeeded by Edward A. Hildreth of Sag Harbor who remained until January 1911 when widow Ann Foster sold it to Harry E. Rose. Rose ran the operation for two years before selling it to Charles R. Brown who the re-leased it to Hildreth until 1917. For the next forty plus years under various proprietors (including Mrs. E. B. Johnson, Charles Stein, William T. Schmeelk, V. Ollendorff, Samuel Levy, William Keane, William Hunt, Erich Merzig), the Foster House was a very popular downtown location. In October 1960, Aime Wertenberg, a French chef/war hero, took over and renamed the business "Hotel de France". Five years later, Jim Merry, owner of the Sea Shack in Cherry Grove, acquired it and again renamed it (Sayville) "Sea Shack". Over the next several years there were further changes in management until the building was destroyed by fire on Monday, June 25th, 1973. After the fire, Bernard Kass, President of Bette Van Restaurant Inc., its owners, declared that there was no insurance and that the firm could not even afford to board up the ruins.

Postcard from collection of Sayville Library

Return to start of page 

____________

 

Holborn Hall, Seaside Cottage, Davis Cottage

241 Candee Avenue

 

 



 

HOLBORN HALL (SEA SIDE COTTAGE) Originally, this was known as the Seaside Cottage, adjacent to the Hotel next door. Mrs. Joseph Healey operated it as a boarding house. and from 1897 to 1901 it was rented to Frank and Maria Davis (see Davis Inn) who also operated it as a boarding house, calling it Davis Cottage. In February 1912, Mrs. M.H. Holborn and her son Walter (see The Delavan) bought the property and opened Holborn Hall which, like Sea Side, was very popular not only because it was close to the Bay but also across the street from the golf course. In April 1917, Mrs. Mary Williams, widow of a Brooklyn Coroner, acquired the property by an exchange for property in Flatbush and made notable improvements to the interior as well as building extensions to increase capacity. Unfortunately, prior to the opening of the next season, the Hotel was completely destroyed by fire on the morning of May 26th, 1918.

Postcard from collection of Sayville Library

 Return to start of page

 ___________

 

Kensington Hotel, Hamlin House, Bedell Hotel

15 North Main Street

 

 

 

Postcard dated July 27, 1909


Vanderbilt Postcard, November 17, 1913


Postcard, undated


The Popular Bar outback

 

KENSINGTON HOTEL (BEDELL TAVERN, BEDELL HOTEL, HAMLIN HOUSE) The Davis Inn and Grocery was the first public building in the unnamed town of Sayville, built about 1830 at what is now the corner of Railroad Avenue and Main Street. In 1837, it was acquired by William Bedell. Citizens met there in 1838 to decide on a name they would submit to the Post Office Department as their preference for the hamlet; unfortunately, their choice "Seaville", was misspelled and finalized as "Sayville". Later , A. Hamlin became proprietor, , and renamed the Bedell Tavern as the Hamlin House (not to be confused with later Hotel Hamlyn). In January 1884, the Bedell family interests were foreclosed and the Hotel was acquired by Morris J. Terry for about $6,000. William Haws, as Proprietor, again renamed it Kensington; there were several more management changes before William Horn assumed direction in 1894. At this time, the two-story building encompassed dining room, sitting room, parlors and eight guestrooms and an adjacent structure in the rear accommodated the bar, billiard and pool, and smoking rooms; there were also provisions for horses and carriages. Andrew S. Kennedy, who took over in 1900, bought the establishment from Terry in 1906 and initiated significant improvements which included re-orienting the main building, remodeling existing facilities, adding an office, public parlor and writing room, 14 guestrooms, and additional toilet facilities. Following a long tenure as owner/operator, Kennedy died very suddenly in April 1918. As of January 1926, H.L. Terry & Sons , local jewelers, acquired the business and after some renovations including provision of both hot and cold water in all 22 bedrooms, it reopened under the management of C.M. Rogers and Son (also see The Delavan). Several other managers then followed before Alfred Sykes(see The Shoreham) took over in the mid 1930s. In 1945, August Kappel purchased the Hotel with undisclosed plans which apparently did not materialize. The Hotel closed its doors for the last time in January 1952 and late the following year passed to a New Jersey group who began demolition in November 1953. After they had acquired other adjacent properties, construction work was begun on a large shopping center on site in December 1955.

All images from collection of Sayville Library except bottom left from Neil J. Spare, Jr.

 

Return to start of page

______________


Oakland House, Groh Homestead, P. Groh & Son

2 Lakeland Avenue

 

 

Oakland House, about 1898


Groh's Place, the adjacent Tavern


OAKLAND HOUSE (GROH HOMESTEAD, P.GROH & SON)
Built in the 1840s on (present day) Lakeland Avenue by Woodhull Raynor as a boarding house and tavern, when the South Side Railroad reached Sayville in 1868, it also became its first ticket office. (A new station was built on the south side of the tracks in 1870.) In 1878, Philip Groh acquired the property. He (died June 1896) and his son, Paul, added to the 10-room hotel a large dancing pavilion, a separate tavern, a very large ice house, and an extensive bottling works; they were agents/wholesalers for several beer and mineral water producers and had three large delivery wagons. Sometime around 1900, the Oakland House ceased commercial operations and became exclusively Paul Groh's family homestead. However, other activities including the bar/grill and (later) bowling alleys facing Lakeland Avenue referred to as "Groh's Place" or simply "The Place" continued. In 1917, it was still noted not only as a "bowling alley" but also as "a working farm, hostel for travelling salesmen, drummers, and agents for the L.I. Railroad". After Paul Groh's death in April 1937, Raymond Jackson re-opened The Place as the North Pole Tavern in September 1939 and it continued into the 1960s. Eventually, all of the property was cleared for an enlarged railroad parking lot.  (Also see Sayville: North of the Tracks)

Postcard and photo from collection of the Sayville Library

 

Return to start of page

_____________

 

Prospect Farm Hotel

Broadway Avenue between Sayville and Holbrook


PROSPECT FARM HOTEL: In late 1924, Mr & Mrs George D. Tingar bought the former home of vaudeville star Bessie Bonehill on Broadway Avenue between Sayville and Holbrook, made notable improvements, added some new poultry houses where they bred and raised chickens for the City market, and opened the Hotel. It was very popular and was expanded about 1932. However, it burned to the ground early in the morning of September 29. 1933. It had already been closed for the winter, was located in an isolated area with no nearby hydrants, and, partly due to dense fog, the blaze was not discovered for several hours.

Postcard from collection of Sayville Library

 Return to start of page

___________

 

Seaside House, Hotel Hamlyn, Lafayette

233 Candee Avenue


  The Seaside House (1881-1906, 1910-1921)


Hotel Hamlyn  (1907-1909)

 

The Lafayette (1922-1963)


SEASIDE HOUSE (HOTEL HAMLYN, LAFAYETTE, CANDEE INN)

The  Hotel, built in 1881, was located at 253 Candee Avenue north of Elm Street. It had three stories, 43 guest rooms, separate barn, laundry, building for vehicle storage, and a large cottage (see Davis Inn and Holborn Hall). It was originally named Seaside (or Sea Side) House and was operated by Mrs. Charles Green, followed in1883 by Thomas Overington (see The Elmore) and in 1884 by S.S. Ackerly (local butcher), who bought it and later leased it to others for summer management. Lessees included F. Weir Hamlyn, who briefly (1907-1909) changed its name to Hotel Hamlyn, and John Treadwell Green (1910-1912). In May 1921, it was acquired by Jean Bazerque, a Frenchman, who ran it successfully until 1944 when he passed it on to Olinto Plietz. However, post-war, Sayville's resort era was over. In 1961, an attempted conversion of the building to a home for the aged was denied by Islip Town. In 1963, it changed hands again as well as its name to The Candee Hotel, housed welfare recipients, and deteriorated rapidly. Finally, in 1987 the Town of Islip bought and razed the Hotel, leaving four residential lots.

All postcards from collection of Sayville Library: Hamlyn dated March 14, 1908, others undated


Return to start of page

_______________

South Bay House, Shoreham 1

Candee Avenue, east side at the Bay


 

Jessie (Mrs. G. A) Morrison Birthday, July 19,1904


South Bay House, about 1906


Trolley & South Bay House,
postmarked July 24, 1913

 

End of the Candee Avenue to Railroad Station  Trolley Line



Shoreham, postmarked June 7, 1922

 

 

SOUTH BAY HOUSE (SHOREHAM 1: About 1883, Henry Green, father of U.S. Attorney Ralph Greene, had a boarding house built for his grandson, John Treadwell Greene, at the eastern foot of Candee Avenue; it was a three-story edifice with 40 guest rooms directly on the Bay. Greene conducted it for several years in conjunction with his bathing pavilion across the street and then in 1896 leased it to Charles A. Brown, who had run the Ocean House in Center Moriches. In 1897, Brown added a carriage house and in 1899 six additional guest rooms and a tower. In 1906, he reportedly about doubled it in size to 80 guestrooms. After 24 successful years, in March 1921, the lease was taken over by Charles Frieman who had long been proprietor of the Shoreham Restaurant across the street. Mr. Frieman and his son, Alfred, immediately began extensive renovations, most notably a large (30' x 60') glass-enclosed dining room across the front which had been popular at his restaurant. The following year, the name of the Hotel was changed to The Shoreham. In 1924, the Friemans sold the Hotel to Frederick H. Foster and Bermard L. Spence for $ 65,000 and two years later Spence bought Foster out. This was being finalized on Election Day, November 3rd, 1925. That night the (first) Shoreham Hotel caught fire and, except for its tower and a small portion of the western side, burned to the ground; it was considered a total loss.

Postcards: Center top from collection of Webb N. Morrison, left & center lower from a private collection; all others from collection of Sayville Library


Return to start of page

______________

Tidewater Inn, Shoreham 2

Foster Avenue, west side at the Bay

 

Tidewater Inn, 1916

 

 

Tidewater Inn, early 1930s

 

Shoreham 2, postmarked 1953

 

 

 Shoreham 2, undated

                                                      

TIDEWATER INN (SHOREHAM 2): The Tidewater Inn was located on the shore at the foot of Foster Avenue, between Foster and Candee Avenue. Owned by Paul Groh, it was designed by local architect Isaac H. Green Jr. and opened in 1916. The dining room could seat 300 guests. In 1937 the Tidewater became the Shoreham Hotel. With an invitations-only dinner for about 300 guests, the new Tidewater Inn opened at the foot of Foster Avenue on June 29th, 1916. It was owned by Paul Groh and Alfred Sykes and managed by the latter. It was a three-story building featuring a glass-enclosed dining room across the entire southern front, a smaller private dining room, a large ballroom and a cafe on the first floor and private sitting rooms and 15 guestrooms, some with private baths, upstairs; a large beach with pavilion and extensive bath houses was adjacent. Initially, the Inn was to be opened year-round and a large garage and laundry building were added. However, "year-round" plans had to abandoned in January 1918 because of heating shortages; they were re-instituted briefly in 1934 (a very snowy winter) but again discontinued. In July 1921 Sykes bought adjoining beach property to the east (to become "Sykes Beach") and then concluded his management; Robert G. Groh became proprietor. In the early 1930s, the ferry to Cherry Grove (where Sykes managed the Hotel) made stops at the Tidewater Dock, at regularly scheduled times and/or for special events (e.g., "An Old Fashioned Chowder and Clam Roast"; the $ 2.00 price included "boat round-trip, meal, beer, music, and entertainment"). In May 1937, the Groh estate leased the Inn to Alfred E. Frieman whose family had operated to original Shoreham (a/k/a South Bay House) on Candee Avenue ; the Friemans changed its name to Shoreham. In January 1944 Frieman bought all of the facilities from the Union Savings Bank of Patchogue and his family assisted him in the management. Following his sudden death in June 1960, his son, Richard, assumed management, continued to run the beach club but leased the hotel to others, reportedly including a Long Island mob figure. William Morton was in the process of buying and redecorating the Hotel when it burned to the ground on March 22nd, 1973. The Beach Club continued in operation for several years, then also burned, and The Shoreham was eventually replaced by Sayville Marina Park.

Return to start of page