BUSINESS: SAYVILLE, MAIN STREET TO THE BAY

 

Please click on thumbnail image to view larger image and/or more information

 

 

Brown's Creek: Shipyards,

Fishing & Oysters

 

image002

Sayville Ferry Service,

Wayfarer I, 1934

 

image003

Captain Mark's Shop /

Doug Westin's Boat Yard

 

image004

Land's End

 

image005

Lewis Blue Point Oysters

 

image006

Sykes Beach/Lobster Grill

 

image007

Fore n' Aft / Port O' Call

 

image008

Shoreham Restaurant, 1920

 

image009

Sayville Playhouse, 1945

 

nursing home

Sayville Nursing Home

 

image011

Suffolk County News

 

image012

Sayville Opera House

 

 

image013

The Cedarshore Club, 1915

_____________________________________________

 

Brown's Creek (River)

 

 

image014

Shipyards, Brown's Creek, early 1900s

 

Fishermen,oyster shells and net racks,

Brown's Creek, early 1900s

 

image016

Oyster shanties & fishing boats, early 1900s

 

image017

Fishermen’s nets, Brown Creek, early 1900s

 

Brown's Creek, Fishing Industry:    In the late 19th and early 20th Century, Brown's Creek was host to mostly small independent shipyards, fishermen and oystermen. (For more on shipyards and oystermen, please see following and Businesses: West Sayville, Waterfront.) There appears to have been a distinct difference between practices of North and South Shore fishermen.  On the North Shore and East End, when the whaling industry cooled in the mid-1800s, most seagoing fishermen moved on to more distant banks of cod.  They were a more specialized group and not as likely to follow seasonal patterns of fish available.  On the South, with easy access to the diverse finfish or shellfish the seasonal patterns offered off the coasts of Islip and Brookhaven, "baymen" tended to be only part-time fishermen.   Some had multiple business interests; some were farmers more likely to fish in the fall and winter when agricultural tasks were at a minimum.  In addition to shellfish, crabs and eels, local finfish catches might include flounder, mackerel, cod, etc. Where the North Shore fishers were accustomed to getting their own yields to market, those on the South relied on local entrepreneurs who traded and handled traffic such as, in the Sayville area, the S.T. Green & Son Country Store in West Sayville and W.T. Green General Store in Sayville.  Most fishermen worked independently except for the menhaden and, later, the oyster industries. All along the east coast, the demand for menhaden, an oily herring-like fish (a/k/a/ bunkers, moss bunkers) grew after the Civil War, primarily for its oil, which was pressed out by steam-power and then used in paints, cod liver oil and lighting; the residue was sold for fertilizer. In Sayville in the 1870s, Wilson J. Terry, Smith & Yarrington, and Samuel W. Green became interested; the latter built a factory on the shore between Handsome Avenue and Green's Canal. Some large fertilizer companies had fleets of their own boats.  Additionally, in 1906, Joseph Wharton of Philadelphia became king of the menhaden industry when, for $ 2.5 million, he acquired the Menhaden Oil Trust, combining the American Fisheries Company, Atlantic Fisheries Company and, separately the American Processing Company which manufactured equipment used for menhaden fishing. Shortly after that, there were some very bad years for the industry when menhaden became very scarce.  However, menhaden is the oldest continuous commercial fishery in the United States, dating back to the early 1700s, and still much in demand for use in agriculture, aquaculture and pet foods.  Now, two manufacturers control the market: Omega Protein of Houston and Daybrook Fishery of Empire, Louisiana.  It is sought on both Atlantic and Gulf Coasts by company ships built to process it on board

 

Postcards, undated, are  from collection of the Sayville Library

Return to Start of Page

­­_______________________________________________

 

River Road

 

 

image018

Mildred H.,early 1900s

 

image019

Dare, 1921

 

image020

Wayfarer I, 1934

 

image021

Wayfarer II, 1938

Sayville Ferry Service:  Charles Karl Stein, a German immigrant, initiated the Service in 1894 by carrying charter parties to either Cherry Grove or Water Island in his gaff-rigged sloop, Mildred H., built at Oak Island in 1894; it was equipped with a "shoving pole" in case the wind gave out. Round trip fare was ten cents with a bowl of chowder and a cracker thrown in. The boat landed wherever the most passengers wanted to go for picnics, gathering holly, or just for a day’s outing. In 1918, he upgraded by acquiring another sloop that he had converted to power, the Dare. In 1921, his son, Fred, took over and was charging 40 cents for a round trip between Green's Canal and Cherry Grove. In 1926, he acquired a boat yard in Sayville and moved all activities here.  After that, he expanded his fleet to include the John T. Zegel, the Helen Marion and, in November 1933 from Barnegat, NJ, the former pleasure yacht Wayfarer, 51 feet long, built in 1928 with a 100 horsepower motor and a capability of 12 miles an hour.  Then Fred designed a boat specifically for his business, Wayfarer II, to be built by Samuel Newey in his yard in Brookhaven, and sold Wayfarer I which had been found unsuitable; it's keel was too deep for Bay waters and it became known as the "See Saw" ferry as passengers had to move en masse from stem to stern to effect proper trim.  Wayfarer II entered service the summer of 1938 just before that September hurricane which laid waste to Cherry Grove and devastated tourist business.  As a result, the new boat, Wayfarer II, was sold to the English to be a hospital ship in WW II; it was resold after the War to be a tourist craft at Holyhead, Wales and a book called "The Ghost Ship" was written about it. (It was still afloat in 1993 as the Queen of the Sea in 1994.)

 

 

image022

Captain Fred Stein & Captain Elmer Murdock

of the Helen Marion, 1938

 

image023

Beachcomber I & Beachcomber II

at River Street Docks, 1949

 

His son, Kenneth, took over the business in 1938 with two boats, Beachcomber I purchased in 1941and the Albil, but business continued to be slow until the United States entered the War; then, gas was short and vacationers re-discovered Fire Island.  He acquired Beachcomber II, also built by Newey, in 1944 and Beachcomber III, a converted Chris-Craft cruiser designed for fast mail and commuter service, in 1949. In the 1950s, the city people continued their discovery, Fire Island building moved at an accelerated pace, and the Company acquired Beachcomber IV, a converted ex-Navy PT boat, in 1955. Today, with a fleet of about seven boats, Sayville Ferry Service has moved down Brown's River to its new complex on River Road, serving Fire Island Pines, Cherry Grove and Sailors Haven, and having been operated by the same Stein Family for about 110 years.

 

Photos in top row from collection of the Long Island Maritime Museum; all others from Stein Family Archives

Return to Start of Page

________________________________________

 

River Road & Terry Street

 

 

image024

Captain Mark's Boat Shop: Webb Morrison

in his Town Class, 1939

 

image025

Doug Westin's Boat Yard

1957

 

Captain Mark L'Hommedieu's Boat Shop:  After many years as Captain of an oyster steamer for Lewis Blue Point Oyster Company, Captain Mark established his boat shop in 1926. Located at the foot of Terry Street at the River, this was a center for many sailors, most notably Wet Pants Association members after the Club was organized in 1935. Here, he was equipped with a hoist and a small railway ramp so that he and/or his customers were able to launch or haul, step masts or climb to adjust rigging.  He was also the source of almost anything you might need for the boat, which could be bought or borrowed.  Lastly, his small rowboat was always available for those who moored their craft on the (inaccessible by land) Bayport side of the creek.  Cap'n Mark was an honorary Wet Panter; he died at the age of 81 in May 1953.

 

Doug Westin's Boat Yard:   Doug Westin began racing sailboats on the Great South Bay when he was 11.  Years later, after having apprenticed locally in boat building, he bought property at the corner of Terry Street and River Road in 1949 and founded his own business; there, he built his first power boat, the Westin Sports 19.  He followed that up with two Narrasketucks (sail), which he constructed in Captain Mark's shop while he was waiting for completion of his own building up the street. On April 4th, 1951, he acquired Joseph Gerry’s Boat Yard down River Road next to the Northam Warren property and changed its name to Doug Westin's Boat Yard. Here, in the fall of the following year, he put up a large wooden quonset-hut shaped storage shed seen in the photo above.  He continued to use the Terry Street shop for smaller 'kit' craft such as Highlanders and Thistles while the more extended River Road location, where there was a railway, was the center for large projects as well as for hauling and storage.  In January 1968, the big storage building and a number of boats inside were destroyed by fire; it was replaced by a steel work building. Doug Westin not only had a Captain's license for vessels up to 100 tons but also held a commercial pilot's license and once built an experimental plane in the loft of his boat shop. He died unexpectedly while on vacation in Maine in September 2002 at the age of 84, having been sailing the day before.  When he had "semi-retired", his daughter Prudence, had taken over the Boat Yard.  More recently, it was acquired by Fred Stein.

 

Photos above from collection of Webb Morrison and courtesy of Doug Westin's Boat Yard

Return to Start of Page

____________________________________

 

Brown's Creek (now River) Road

 

 

image026

Northam WarrenHome, 1930

 

image027

Land's End, 1960

 

# 70, Land's End:   Northam Warren, a Connecticut pharmacist who developed the first liquid nail polish, Cutex, in 1916, was President of his own Company which sold it.  He was also a popular summer resident and avid yachtsman; his yacht was the P-class sloop, Constance.  Mid-summer 1922, he bought land on the Bay at the mouth of Brown's River.  Workmen immediately commenced demolishing the Skinner & Herring Oyster House riverside where he planned to build a 17 x 40 foot combination garage and boat house; work on the main house began that fall. The site had been designated as a possible public dock but Warren offered to pay to reroute the road and the dock to the north.  He summered here until 1937 when, having built a new residence in Garden City, he sold the property to Emma Gelshenen of Bellport and New York.  She, in turn, sold it to Mrs. Henry Brendel in 1946 who turned it over again in June 1953 for more than $ 75,000 to become a "year-round restaurant of the highest type"; the property included five acres of land and four under water. It was to be known as Land's End and operated by John and Ellen Burke and Mary Hayes, experienced restaurateurs from New Hampshire, who had it for many years. Among their many alterations, they extended the Bay side out for a large water-view dining room. In 1954, bulk heading on the river side was moved 40 feet closer to the building, allowing for deep water berths for yachts and a boat slip on the north side was extended, creating their first Marina. For 1955, there was the Land's End Beach Club with pier and Bay swimming. By the spring of 1957, the Club had a 30 x 90 foot saltwater swimming pool and a motel with ten efficiency units. For the largest change, in February 1959, John Burke proposed a 200 boat marina extending across the Bay front of the property and 700 feet into the Bay, using a deck over the rock jetty on the west side of the river as its east side and bulk heading for the outer and west perimeters.  Sand dredged from the basin would be used to increase the size of the bathing beach.  Costs were estimated at $ 100,000.The various permits were applied for and, locally, enthusiasm was high. However, apparently it was all rejected and didn't happen.  Following the Burkes, the Lessings had the property from 1991 to 1994 when it was acquired by Lovin' Oven Caterers who have it today.

 

Postcards courtesy of Lovin' Oven Caterer

Return to Start of Page

________________________________

 

Brown's Creek (now River) Road

 

image028

Lewis Blue Point Oyster Cultivation Company, 1907

 

Lewis Blue Point Oyster Cultivation Company: The Company, one of the youngest in the oyster business in the area, was an offshoot of H.J. Lewis Oyster Company of Bridgeport, Connecticut which had an extensive business in seed oysters in the Long Island Sound.  It incorporated in New York in 1891; it leased underwater oyster ground from Brookhaven Town and started planting in 1892. On property purchased from the Skinner estate in 1896, it built several oyster houses and a windmill. In its business of planting, harvesting shipping oysters, it was the first locally to employ a large force of men to open oysters.  Previously, almost all bivalves had been shipped unopened in their shells. On a record day early in the shipping season, the Company was able to ship upwards of 8,000 bushels or, if shelled, upwards of 120 gallons; consequently, it had a notable secondary business selling oyster shells which were widely used in the early 1900s to surface roads. Oysters for consumers were shipped in containers which could be re-iced by the express carrier along the way, if necessary. Charles H. Huntoon came with the organization as local manager and built a home on Edwards Street at Collins Avenue. In 1902, the firm formed a new partnership with a neighbor, Skinner & Herring (later Excelsior), that had purchased 110 foot frontage on the west side of Brown's Creek for its oyster house and was having a good size basin dredged there. Lewis, when it was dissolved in December 1919, was one of the last oyster companies to leave Brown's Creek Road or River Road.  Among others in the immediate area between 1895 and 1920 that had either been bought out by The Blue Point Company or had closed down were Beebe

Brothers, N.S. Ackerly & Son, and Edward Munkelwitz & Son.

 

Postcard postmarked November 22nd, 1907 from collection of Sayville Library

Return to Start of Page

_________________________________

 

Brown's Creek (now River) Road

 

 

image029

Foot of Foster Avenue, Rose's Bathing, 1915

 

image030

Sykes Beach, 1925

 

Sykes Beach/Lobster Grill:   In June 1896, Captain Carman Skinner built a small pavilion at the foot of Foster Avenue to sell soft drinks and cigars.  By 1901, it became known as the Willow Grove and added bathhouses; it was noted for its dances and, in addition to swimming, it also rented row boats. In 1912, it also became headquarters for the Wanderer Yacht Club (See Clubs and Organizations). With changes in annual management, its name also varied; in 1915, it was "Rose's Bathing".  In 1916, Paul Groh and Alfred Sykes had bought the Bay property on the west side of Foster Avenue and built and opened the Tidewater Inn (see Hotels).  In July 1921, Sykes bought the Willow Grove and its property from the Skinner Estate and it became Sykes Beach; he then owned the entire Bay front east to former Lewis Blue Point Oyster Cultivation Company land, now owned by Frank Rogers. He continued his acquisitions and by 1925 had 430 feet on the water extending back 230 over First Street (as Brown's Creek was then known). At that time, he re-sold the pavilion and bathing privileges for $70,000 to Joseph B. Levy and Samuel Lempert of Sayville and Samuel Levine of New York; the latter was interested in building a hotel on the site.  However, the establishment continued to be managed by Sykes.  In 1932, the property was sold at auction and Lempert took over management. In May 1933, an addition was made to accommodate a seafood bar and dining room; the Lobster Grill was born.

 

                                      

 

image031

The establishment was sold at auction on December 7th, 1935 and acquired by Ira Levy, son of Joseph B, proprietor of Foster House. They planned many alterations, among them tearing down 250 of the 500 bathhouses and building cabanas. In 1938, they proposed building a yacht basin which was turned down. In 1939, they initiated a new "Sun and Beach Club".  1940 was the last summer for the Grill.  Abandoned for some years, damaged by storms, and condemned by the Town of Islip, in October 1946 Charles L. Alexander of Oakdale bought the property to be known as Fore 'N Aft

 

Postcard from collection of (left top) Sayville Library and (right top) Frank McAlonan.  Bottom postcard from collection of Neil Spare, Jr.

 

Return to Start of Page

_________________________________________

 

Brown's Creek (now River) Road

 

 

image032

Fore 'n Aft Marina, 1950s

 

image033

Marina with old Sayville Yacht Club far right

 

Fore 'n Aft / Port O' Call:  Abandoned for some years, damaged by storms, and condemned  by the Town of Islip, in October 1946 Charles L. Alexander of Oakdale bought the Lobster Grill property; part of the holdings were on the north side of the road. Initially, Alexander did not announce any specific plans for his purchase.  However, workmen almost immediately began to tear down the old bathhouses and renovate usable sections of the pavilion; at the same time, they began construction of several new cottages across the street.  Later, he submitted a proposal for a rectangular yacht basin 240 feet long and 225 feet wide with a depth of six feet.  The basin was finished in May 1950 along with an accompanying building containing a restaurant, rest rooms, showers and lockers.  He had also run a contest to name his establishment; the winner was chosen from among 103 suggestions and was awarded a $ 50 savings bond for suggesting Fore 'n Aft. The establishment opened for the 1950 season with the Sayville Yacht Club meeting there every second Tuesday night. By 1951, it was offering food and liquor; 50 boat slips, either transient or by the season; dressing rooms and showers; 16 foot inboard rentals; 28 foot fast charter trips; and the 42 foot party boat, Blue Albatross for Moonlight Sales.  In 1954, it appears there was a split between operations of the marina and restaurant. The Strong-Holland Company of Copiague, whose business was boat sales, equipping and repairs, took over the Marina, inviting the public to a "gala water-ski show and Aqua-Lung demonstration".  On the other side, apparently business was not proceeding as anticipated but went on as usual almost to the day of a Public Auction of the restaurant and bar, December 20th, 1954.  Thereafter, there were advertisements that the building was available for "indoor-outdoor storage, repairs and alterations".  In May 1965, the Town of Islip moved to acquire the property by condemnation and the owner at the time agreed to accept a fee far below appraisal value of $118,000.  Currently, in addition to its berthing facilities, it also is headquarters for the Wet Pants Sailing Association (See Clubs and Organizations).

 

Postcard from collection of Tony Brinkmann; photo from collection of Frank McAlonan

Return to Start of Page

___________________________________

 

Candee Avenue

 

 

image034

Shoreham Bathhouses, Boatyard, Restaurant

 

image035

Shoreham Restaurant, 1915

 

Shoreham Restaurant:  John Treadwell Green had been operating a Pavilion on the shore on the east side of Candee since 1884; he moved it to the west side next to the bathing beach when construction of the South Bay House began in 1888.  In 1903 the Greens leased it to Charles Frieman who renamed it the Shoreham, noted for its "Shore Dinners".  At about the same time, the Willet Green home - which had been built around 1790 on the east side of Candee about midway to the Bay - was moved down and incorporated into the building (far right end).  Captain Smith Rogers’ boatyard had been at the entrance to Green's Canal for some years; in December 1902, he sold it to Nelson Swezey who moved the railways to his yard on Brown's River. In 1915, the restaurant screened dining room was expanded.  In 1920, the Sayville Golf Club purchased from the Greene Estate for $ 80,000 all of the property south of Elm Street for a new Country Club. The Shoreham restaurant was included but continued for several more years until the Golf Club had enough money for the total renovation.  Charles Frieman sold The Shoreham in 1923 and bought the Brightwaters Casino.  (See Clubs & Organizations for more details on Sayville Golf/Country Club)

 

 

image036

Sayville Playhouse, 1942

 

 

Sayville Playhouse: After the demise of the Club, the building was remodeled again and in June 1941 reopened as a summer (non-"barn") theater.  The Resident Club participants were Actors Equity members; Marlon Brando was among those who debuted here.  There was also Dramatic Workshop student group.  However, in November 1947, having had several non-profitable seasons, the Playhouse was sold for $ 50,000 to James Poro of East Islip who remodeled it, brought its capacity up to 750, and July 3rd, 1957 opened it as a year-round "art" movie theater which included a complete and adjacent TV theater; husbands could take their wives "to the movies" and not miss their favorite sports show by going next door. The Playhouse was demolished in a fire on March 15, 1959.

 

Images: Top left from Dowling College Special Collection;

left from collection of Sayville Library; bottom, as pictured in Cinema Treasures

Return to Start of Page

__________________________________

 

Candee Avenue

 

 

nursing home

Sayville Nursing Home, 1957

 

 

Sayville Nursing Home:   The original building (left above) at the Corner of Elm Street was built in

1903 and had formerly been known as the Davis or, later, the Elms Inn.  (Please see Hotels for more early details).  In 1951 it was acquired by Rose H. Geiger and had its last season as a Hotel.  In 1952, Mrs. Geiger, an R.N., opened it as Sayville Nursing Home and in 1954 expanded the premises by adding 50 beds in the new two story wing (right above).  The extension provided "recreation rooms complete with radio and television sets and an area for showing motion pictures and second floor residents had the use of a new sun deck". She noted that the new structure "will offer a cheerful environment for the convalescence of the chronically ill or aged patients... emphasis was upon adding more years to their lives and more life to their years".   On May 21st, 1958, Mrs. Delores Esposito of Huntington purchased the Home; she had a long history in nursing and had lastly been Director of Nursing Services at North Shore Hospital in Manhasset.  During her tenure, the Home was entirely re-built, a difficult procedure because it necessitated the demolition of three non-complying wooden structures to be replaced by one brand new one-story concrete building.  This was further complicated because patients had to remain in existing buildings while construction proceeded but, by New York law, as soon as new construction was completed, no patients could be housed in the older structures.  The architects, Landow and Landow of Smithtown, developed a phased construction plan whereby the 73 patients would be able to remain in the older section until a major portion of the new work was finished; at that point, they could be moved to the newer structure and the older segment could be demolished and replaced.  The completed new building was to be 38,000 square feet and accommodate 100 patients. At a cost of $ 1,000,000, the plan was carried out in 1968.  Mrs. Esposito sold her interest in the Home in 1974 to Peter Piffath who decided to close the Home as a money-loser in the spring of 1977. It was acquired by Good Samaritan Hospital in December 1979 and reopened it in February 1980.  Catholic Health Services have operated it ever since.

 

Postcard from collection of the Sayville Library

Return to Start of Page

____________________________

 

Candee Avenue

 

 

image038

Suffolk County News Building

 

 

image039

100th Anniversary, 1984

 

# 23, The Suffolk County News    Walter Burling, who had founded a number of papers on Long Island, published the first issue of The Sayville News on September 12th, 1885.  Its first office was in Columbia Hall, which was home not only to retailers, but also, upstairs, to various organizations and other community activities. Very soon, thereafter, it moved to the Green Block.  At the close of the year, Mr. Burling left and A.D. Hawkins took over as Editor.  On January 7th, 1888, A.L. Cheney of Port Jefferson acquired the News and broadened its name to The Suffolk County News, which afforded the opportunity of wider news coverage.  In 1891, the newspaper relocated again to the also relocated original Congregational Church (built 1847) on the west side of Railroad Avenue about Center Street (Center Street was not opened until 1922). Although not recognizable, that building, which in recent years also housed a Christian book store, still stands on the same site today.  On June 17th, 1893 Cheney was succeeded by Charles L. Grubb of Bangor, Maine who remained only one year.  On July 1st, 1894, Francis Hoag who had published weekly and worked with daily papers upstate bought the SCN, became its fifth editor in nine years, and remained so for 54 years until his death on December 18th, 1948, at which time he was regarded as "Dean" of Long Island newspapermen.  He had a new home built for the Newspaper at 23 Candee Avenue and moved in October 5th, 1906.  His family helped him with his work; his first wife, Lena (died in early 1930s) was able to set type and two of his three daughters, Catherine and Marion, became very active in writing and production as they got older.  On June 15th, 1946 and later on February 1980 the SCN suffered devastating fires but did not miss an issue in either case...Following Hoag's death, Joe Jahn who had been a reporter and later associate editor became Editor and remained until 1967, assisted by the Misses Hoag until their retirements. Louis Grasso, editor of the Patchogue Advance, replaced him until 1976.  In 1968, the Paper was purchased by Mary Lou Cohalan, Joann O'Doherty, John L. Hart and Donald A. Rettaliata and Mary Lou Cohalan took over the post. Until this time, the SCN had been printed on premises with type set by hand; it took six compositors and printers who worked five days just to set up a single weekly edition. The new owners changed that to quicker photo-offset, apparently to the dismay of many readers who seemed unhappy with the change to modern times.  In 1976, several new tape typewriters and a large computer further expedited the process. In 1984, the SCN celebrated its 100th  Anniversary (picture of  the Staff, Cohalan kneeling right, above right).  In 1985, John T. Tuthill III and his wife, Lorelei, publishers of the Long Island Advance in Patchogue, acquired The Suffolk County News and its sister, The Islip Bulletin and still direct all three.

 

Photo credits: The Suffolk County News

Return to Start of Page

______________________________

 

Candee Avenue

 

 

image040

Shawmut Tire Store, Opera House and Suffolk County News Office

 

 

# 9, Opera House: In the late 1800s, Columbia Hall, located on the second floor of a building across from the Foster House, was the only place in Town for public assembly; it seated at most 250 and had very limited stage facilities.  Sometime after its formation in 1878, Sayville Hose Company #1 had purchased property on the east side of Candee Avenue for storage of its equipment.  Late in 1900, responding to a community need and supplementing its own funds with $ 8,000 gained selling bonds, the Hose Company sponsored construction of a new Opera House, designed by I.H. Green, on its property; the House opened August 1st, 1901.  It had a capacity of about 700; a large, well-elevated proscenium; a large balcony; and a comfortable meeting room for the Hose Company on the second floor; total cost was about $ 12,000. ( As Marion L. Hoag of the Suffolk County News next door recalled many years later, "it had hard wooden seats which could be removed for frequent dances...we sometimes had a part in a home-talent show, changing costumes in the tiny, dusty dressing rooms under the stage ...there were the basketball games when the boys played on the tiny court between the balcony and the stage...we girls sat in the balcony or on the stage and squealed  for the exploits of the boyfriend of the moment...we turned out to see the Trahern Stock Company and spent the week discussing the show...it was the scene of our high school commencement, the stage backed by a screen of ferns, usually with the class numerals worked out in daisies".)  Initially, the House became a popular stop for vaudeville, road companies, public functions, and movies, in addition to doubling as both the auditorium and gymnasium for the local high school. However, as movies gained popularity, its use declined and in 1919, it was sold to the Foresters of America.  In October 1926 it passed to Westerbeke Realty and in October 1927 to Joseph B. Levy, who, in his renovations installed an inclined floor, negating further dances and athletics; his renamed Community Theater opened on February 13th, 1928 but apparently was unsuccessful and the building was vacant for many years.  In May 1945, it was sold to Henry W. Brendel. It reopened on February 12, 1947 as Sayville Recreation offering 12 bowling alleys.  In a "suspicious" fire, it burned to the ground on January 11th, 1961.

 

Postcard from collection of Frank McAlonan

Return to Start of Page

__________________________________

 

Handsome Avenue

 

 

image041

 

 

image042

Cedarshore Beach Club, 1913

 

image043

Cedarshore Beach Club & Casino, 1914

 

 

image044

Circus, Labor Day, 1914

 

image045

Casino, Bathhouse Entry, 1916

 

 

image046

Casino, Bay/Race Overlook (2nd Floor), 1916

 

image047

Casino, Dancing (2nd) Floor, 1916

 

# 311, Cedarshore Club:   In February 1913, George A. Morrison, Brooklyn builder and Alderman, bought the sic-acre Powell Estate.  He immediately began to build nine cottages and moved the Powell Barn to the Bayshore where, that summer, it was opened as the Cedarshore Beach Club. By the following summer, he had also constructed the Casino, adjacent to the renovated barn (note flag on Barn in both pictures above) and extending out over the water. The first floor housed 160 bathhouses and, on the second level, there was a dining room, "dancing floor" (ballroom) and an overlook on the south end where one could sit and watch swimmers and races. The many activities available: included swimming, tennis, cards, movies twice a week, dances, concerts, and even a "Grand Parade" and circus. It proved to be a popular spot for leisure and entertainment, not only for Cedarshore cottage guests but also for local and nearby townspeople.  In September 1916, Morrison announced his plans for the long-awaited hotel which was completed over the winter but burned before opening in June 1917.  World War I and other exigencies delayed an immediate replacement and the second Cedarshore Hotel opened in July 1924, connected to the Casino by a bridge. (Please see Cedarshore in Hotels for more details)

 

Section overview and top postcard from Dowling College Library Special Collection

All other postcards and photos from collection of Webb N. Morrison

Return to Start of Page