WATERWAYS: BANKS & BEACHES

For more details on any of the following images, please see related foregoing sections.

 

BROWN'S CANAL/CREEK/RIVER   (Originally known as Edward's Creek, it was later renamed Brown's after William Brown, an early Bayport settler who purchased his farmland, stretching from Middle Road to the Bay, from the Nicoll Estate.)

 

 

Creek & meadows from Middle Road, July 1,1908

 

 

 

Nicks Clam Bar, just below Middle Road, 1947

 

 

 

Looking toward Meadowcroft, mailed Aug 19,1913

 

 

 

Future Town Dock, postmarked August 20, 1915

 

 

 

 Stein ferries at River Street Town Dock, 1949

 

 

 

Ferries gone, Town Dock, late 1950s

Images: Top row left, all second row, bottom row right from collection of Sayville Library; 
top right & bottom right, courtesy of Tony Brinkmann; bottom left, courtesy of Stein Family Archives

 

 

 

 

Bayport docking, reached by rowboat; mailed 1942

 

 

Bayport docks, now reached by road, about 1965

 

 

Captain Mark L'Hommedieu's boatworks, 1939

 

 

 Looking north to Captain Mark's & beyond, 1930s

 

 

Fish nets on racks

 

 

Day's end on River

 

 

 Nelson H. Sweezey's Boatyard, August 1915

 

 

 

 

Possibly, G.L. Myers shipyard, Bayport, early 1900s

 

 

Images:  Top row left & all rows right, collection of Sayville Library; 2nd row left, collection of Webb N. Morrison;
3rd left, courtesy of West Sayville Boat Basin;4th left, Suffolk County News

 

 

Probably Skinner & Herring Oysters, early 1900s

 

 

Mouth of Creek, Brown's Point right, early 1900s

 

 

Gerry's Boat Yard, acquired by Doug Westin in 1951

 

 

 Lands End, leaving Brown's River, about 1950

 

 

Lands End Restaurant & Marina, 1960

 

Images: Top row & bottom left, collection of Sayville Library; middle row, courtesy of Debra Westin Rogers;
bottom right, courtesy of Land's End

 

 

SAYVILLE SHOREFRONT (Brown's River to Green's Creek)

 

 

 SVIS sponsored installation of beacon, about 1920

 

 

Lewis Bluepoint Oyster Company, 1907

 

 

Sayville Yacht Club, replacing oysters, about 1923

 

 

Glen Willows Condos (old Yacht Club), about 1980

 

 

Sayville Public Beach, gift of SVIS, 1925

 

 

Willow Pavilion, foot of Foster Avenue, 1913

 

 

Sykes Beach, successor to Willow, about 1925

 

 

Sykes Beach, about 1925

 

 

Sykes to Public Beach from Shoreham Dock, early 1940s

 

 

Fore 'Aft & old Yacht Club, early 1950s

 

 Images: Top & 2nd rows, 3rd & 4th right, collection of Sayville Library;3rd left, courtesy of Sayville Village Improvement Association;
4th left, courtesy of Tony Brinkmann;5th left, courtesy of Tom Travis, author of Sayville's Wet Pants;
5th right, courtesy of Frank McAlonan

 

 

Tidewater Inn (Foster Ave) & Paul Groh, center, 1929

 

 

Wet Pants Race Day, Shoreham, about 1937

 

 

Willow Pavilion, looking toward Candee Ave and  South Bay House, postmarked May 7, 1909

 

 

Edwards Ave breakwater of cedar boughs woven through cedar stakes to prevent beach erosion

 

 

1915 Gould, Krafft & Keater Homes (2014 photo)

 

 

South Bay House, foot of Candee Ave, about 1910

 

 

Rogers' Boatyard, Shoreham Restaurant, 1903

 

 

Shoreham & South Bay House, mailed Aug 16, 1912

 

 

Images: Top row left, courtesy of Peter W. Leis; right, from Tom Travis: Sayville's Wet Pants Sailing Association 1934-1940; 2nd row, 3rd left & 4th right, collection of Sayville Library; 3rd right, courtesy of Neil Spare, Jr;4th left, from Dowling College Library Special Collection

 

 

Golf Club left/Frank Hayward Estate rt, July 1, 1908

 

 

Sayville Golf & Country Club, early 1920s

 

 

Shorefront from roof of Cedarshore Hotel, Green Ave to the Breakwater,
1937 (486 Green Avenue, lower right)

 

 

Rear of Cedarshore Casino, beach at Green Ave, 1915

 

 

Cedarshore Hotel & Casino, 1927

 

 

One of Jones' bathhouses and  Estate ( Handsome Avenue to Green's Creek) , about 1915

 

Images: Top row, 3rd row left & bottom row from collection of Sayville Library; 2nd row from collection of Webb N. Morrison;
3rd right, courtesy of Edwards & Company

 

 

GREEN'S CREEK, West Sayville

 



Passes below Montauk Highway, 1930s



"Jones River"(east branch), now Sunset Lake; mailed Sept 4, 1920



Sunset junction with Creek & VanVranken Yacht &
West Sayville in background, 1930s


Oysterman aboard boat, Frank Jones estate across creek in
Sayville in background



Stein Ferry to Water Island, postmarked August 1908



Oysterman on docks



Suffolk County News, June 25, 1920



Jelle Dykstra's Boat Yard, about 1910



"Spike" Lambdin, other, Sam Jorgensen at Lambdin 
(ex-Dykstra) Boat Yard, 1935-1936

Images: Top row & 2nd left, courtesy of Elizabeth C. Whitehouse; 2nd row right & bottom left, courtesy of West Sayville Boat Basin;
3rd row, collection of the Sayville Library; bottom row right, anonymous

 

 

 Sam Jorgensen in his (ex-Lambdin's) yard, 1948

 

 

Party Boat on railways at Jorgensen's, 1950

 

 

Pond-fishing boat (trawler) built by Jorgensen
(Van Vranken home & Jones Estate background)

 

 

Lightner's Yard #2 (ex- Henry Otto #2), across Clyde Street from Bluepoints, 1930

 

 

Merolla's Ship Yard  (d/b/a Lightner's), 1958

 

 

Lightner's Yard, 1958 (burned, February 1970)

 

 

Townsend Seafood replaced Lightners,
1992, went bankrupt later

 

 

 

Mouth of Green's Creek, .returning home,
ones Estate in background; circa 1940s

Images: Top row & 2nd row left from private collection;2nd & 4th row rights, courtesy of West Sayville Boat Basin;
3rd row courtesy of Marty Merolla; 4th row left courtesy of Loretta Stump

 

 

WEST SAYVILLE SHORE FRONT (Green's Creek to Oakdale Line)

 

 

Green's Harbor, dredged in the meadows, 1896

 

 

West Basin, opened 1902, damaged 1905

 

 

West Harbor, fishing sloops & oyster houses, about 1905

 

 

 Naval Station, foot of West Ave, 1918;
SP-343
original Gil Smith sailboat with gun

 

 

Loading oysters, foot of Atlantic Avenue, 1909

 

 

East Basin, 1914; note new Cedarshore Casino (right)

 

Jacob Ockers, independently, bought & built East Basin, home of Blue Points from 1912

 

 

West and East Basins, separated by West Sayville Beach (with small pavilion), 1950s

 

 

West Basin, foot of West Avenue, 1982;
Town of Islip built outer basin for private vessels in 1932

 

 

East Basin, foot of Atlantic Avenue, 1982;
Blue Points buildings maroon in center

 

Images: Top row left, Sayville Chamber of Commerce; all others, courtesy of West Sayville Boat Basin

 

 

 

West Avenue Fishing/Parking Pier (2014 photo)

 

 

Bayman's Cottage at Long Island Maritime Museum

 

 

Rudolph Oyster House & Frank Penney Boat Shop
at Long Island Maritime Museum

 

 

Priscilla, built 1888, restored and Museum flagship

 

 

LIMM  Campus: Penney Boat Shop, Main Building and Bayman's Cottage (left to right)

 

 

Return to Start of Page