BUSINESSES:  WEST SAYVILLE - MAIN STREET AND NORTH

Please Click on Thumbnail Image Below for More Information

 

 

 

Alberts, 21 Main St,  1935

 

 

Bud's Service, 54 Main St, 1954

 

Peppard & VanEmmerik,
55 Main St., 1950s

 

P.O. /Dutch Door, 59 Main St, 1977 

 

 

Charlies, 60 Main St, 1940s

 

A. & P., 61 Main St, 1932

 

Brandt Store, 1920s

 

 

S.P. Green ,81 Main St, 1920

 

65 - 75  Main Street, 1960s

 

Dutch Door, 77 Main St, 1972
Long Island Boat & Motor Sales

 

 

Richard Tucker & Dingness Van Popering, 80 & 84 Main St, 1897

 

Harry Barfoot &  Tenants,
100 - 108 Main St, about 1930

 

 

P.J. Grady, 118 Main St, 1947

 

 

Tyler Homestead/Meier's Hotel

 

"Beintema Farm House"

 

 

Raynor & D'Andrea, 245 Main St, 1971

 

 

Post Office, 12 Washington Ave, 2013

 

Telefunken Wireless Station, 1920

 


 

West Sayville - Main Street, North Side, # 21

(buildings numbered by today's numbers; may not agree with original)

 

 

 

Albert's, 1935

 

 

 

Andre's Lake House, 1986

 

Postcards from collection of (left) Neil J. Spare and (right) Sayville Library

# 21, Albert's: The Doctors Goodrich of New Haven, CT had summered in Sayville since the turn of the last Century. In 1914, widow Doctor (Adelaide) Rendell Goodrich had the house built.  Due to both age and poor health, she let it go and P.J. Grady, local car  dealer, acquired it in December 1925 "for speculation"; the property had 680 feet on Main Street and a depth of 800 feet, some of the highest ground in the village, a trout stream and wooded ground on the eastern end.  It soon became a significant part of Russell J. Perrine's Riviera Park development in which the stream would have become a lake centerpiece surrounded by houses; Perrine's  development of the eastern segment was never completed.  However, Riviera Park Associates did convert the Goodrich home to a restaurant, Colonial Inn, which opened May 29th, 1931.  Albert Rutkowski, who had been running the Bayport House for four years, took over the Colonial Inn on May 19, 1933.  After his death in December 1945, on October 3, 1947 his wife sold the business to Frederick Lukan who redecorated it and renamed it The Lake House. He, following the death of his wife, in January 1949, sold the restaurant to Brook House of Brookhaven.  There were several proprietors thereafter, among them Louis Costello, who extended the formal dining by an addition to the east side in 1957; Edward Meyer, from Centerport who purchased it for his daughter and who extended the bar area on the west side and revamped the kitchen; and Andre Steffen (Andre's Lake House) who bought the property in 1972 and, later, added a small outdoor terrace overlooking the Lake.  He and his wife, Liliane ran it until 1992, then leased it to Michael Papandrea (Michael's) until Lovin' Oven Caterers purchased it in 2003.  Lovin' Oven still operates the restaurant (21 Main).

 

 

West Sayville - Main Street, South Side, # 54

(buildings numbered by today's numbers; may not agree with original)

 

 

 

"Bud's" Station, late 1940s

 

 

 

"Bud" & Father, 1947

 

 

 

"Bud", 1954

 

 

 

After the Fire, late 1950s

 

 

Photos courtesy of Rosemarie Van Wyen

# 54, Bud's Service Station:   The original station was a very small building, possibly built by Adrian Paauwe who had been selling gasoline and kerosene since 1910 and called it his "50 Mile Stop" (from New York); next door to the east, in 1928 Harold Gregory had built a battery service station, also doing automotive electrical service.  Bud's station was adjacent to to the original Hook & Ladder Company  Fire House; in1931, the American Legion bought that for $101 and it was moved to Foster Avenue in Sayville as their future headquarters. Paauwe sold his station to Ernest Mehner in September 1928 and Mehner, in turn, sold it to David Hoek. As a boy, John W. ("Bud") Van Wyen, Jr. worked at Hoek's Gas Station. In 1944, Bud joined the Navy and when he got out in1947, Hoek wanted to sell the station so John Sr. (who had the West Sayville nickname "Possum") purchased it for his son.  The senior Van Wyen had a regular job at the new Fire House next door  so he would open the business in the morning and close it at night; John Jr. would handle it all during the day. After his father's death, Bud took it over full time, became unelected "Mayor" of West Sayville and the Service Station became the "Village Hall".  The two items that merited his unelected position were: 1/ every time a customer asked Bud to come to a meeting or to do a favor, his answer was "Well, I  may or I may not" and the "may or" won out and 2/ his station was directly across from the Post Office and whenever a communication was received addressed to the "Mayor of West Sayville", it was delivered to him.  Their station, which had been enlarged by addition of a two-car garage entry, was gutted by a severe fire on March 25, 1953.  It was rebuilt and extended further to the west by addition of a third higher entry for trucks. Bud had planned to retire in the fall of 1986 but Hurricane Gloria beat him to it  and he closed down and retired in 1985.  He passed away in February 5,1989 and the original little station (called the "Shack"?) was later moved to North Main Street, Sayville where it has been renovated and redecorated as headquarters for the Greater Sayville Chamber of Commerce.

 

  

West Sayville - Main Street, North Side, # 55

(buildings numbered by today's numbers; may not agree with original)

 

 

Postcard from collection of Sayville Library

#55, Peppard & Van Emmerik:  The First Dutch Reformed Church, was built in 1866. Reverend Jongeneel became the first "dominie" in 1867.  In 1908, the congregation, having become troubled by the increase in traffic and noise, bought land on Cherry Street (now Avenue) from Samuel P. Green, constructed a new church and moved. In March of 1918, Emerson Peppard of Purchase, NY married Neltje (Nell) Van Emmerik of Chicken Street, Oakdale and bought the vacated building for his future home and transfer business. He elevated the church in order to house his two horses, Kit and Dancy along with his wagon. In 1917, after the birth of their second son, Charles E. Peppard, Jr. at their home on Cherry Street, they moved into the second floor apartment on Main Street. In 1919, Wynand Van Emmerik, Nell's brother, joined Emerson in the hauling and transfer business. They hauled oysters to market as well as transferred the trunks to and from New York City for families who summered at their mansions along the south shore. In the warehouse (formerly Brandt's store) behind their Main Street business, Nell sold antiques and second-hand furniture. In 1925, Emerson bought the business' first truck, an "REO-Speed Wagon" and expanded their business to moving and storage. Emerson Peppard died May 5, 1953; his son, Charles, took over the business. Peppard and Van Emmerik remained at the same location for over 70 years. In 1958, Charles Peppard and his wife, Dorothy, renovated and winterized the apartment and converted the ground floor to a country store and antique shop; Peppard's "1886 House". In 1980 Austin Verity Moving and Storage bought the rights to the moving business and re-located it to Bohemia.  The Peppard's sold their buildings and property in 1985 and retired to their home in East Hampton on Three Mile Harbor. The buildings at 55 Main Street still stand and remain on the Town of Islip's List of Historic Landmarks. A replica of the original First Dutch Reformed Church was constructed on the corner of Broadway Avenue and Montauk Highway in Sayville along with other Historic Landmark Buildings.

Brandt Building:  The "Barn", the second structure (left above, also still standing) was constructed  in 1901 at Main and Cherry and moved to this location in February 1931. Originally a grocery store, it was converted to be a storage barn, replacing the front door and store window with a larger garage door and removing the shed roof from the front.  The Town has also designated this as a Historic Landmark. (See Brandt Building below for more information.)

  

West Sayville - Main Street, North Side, # 59

(buildings numbered by today's numbers; may not agree with original)

 

 

 

Dutch Door Realty, 1977, and West Sayville Food Center

(in the old A & P building next door to left)

 

Photo courtesy of Ann Azzinaro

 

# 59, Post Office:   Built in 1946, this was originally the Post Office from October 4, 1946 until May 29, 1958 when it moved to another new building at 12 Washington Avenue.   (See that entry below for more details on history.)

# 59, Dutch Door Realty:   About 1970, Link & McDonough/Gallery of Homes opened in the building and remained  until they were bought out by James J. Radigan.  He had founded his Dutch Door Realty on August 4, 1972 at 77 Main Street (see entry for 77 which follows) and moved it to this location.  Mr. Radigan passed away in November 1993 but the agency continued under the direction of Steven Taca, affiliated with nationawide group ERA.  The business and was purchased in early 1998 by Pam Llobell-Korinek who had been a member of the Dutch Door staff for four years; she was soon joined by partners Matthew Arnold and Sue Byrnes and the ERA relationship was terminated.  In 2002, the Agency became affiliated with another large franchise group, Weichert.  In 1911, it closed down.  The building is now the site of the Marian Farese Insurance Agency.

  

 

West Sayville - Main Street, South Side, # 60

(buildings numbered by today's numbers; may not agree with original)

 

 

 

Charlie's original restaurant, about 1945. Note beer waiter/beer sign.

Similar signs charcteristic of  business or owner were  made by Zegel

 

Photo from collection of  Tony Brinkmann

# 60, Charlie's:   Charlie's opened here in  December 1940. The land was owned by John Bates who later objected to the music and noise from the restaurant.  Consequently, he was unable to renew his lease and about 1954 had his building moved east to 326 Main Street, Sayville.  Once there, he had a larger dining room added to the west side of the buillding.  Some years later, it became George's Main Street.  (Also see Sayville listing.)

 

West Sayville - Main Street, North Side, # 61

(buildings numbered by today's numbers; may not agree with original)

 

 

 

Photo from The Suffolk County News

 

# 61, A & P:     The Company first opened in West Sayville in the Brandt Building in March 1922.  On March 29, 1929, it moved to 71 in the Westerbeke Buildings down the block, awaiting construction of its new store at 61 which was not ready until February 1931; there,  Paul N. Westerbeke had constructed a new building for them which had a frontage of 25 feet and a depth of  80 feet with a front of tapestry brick. On November 11, 1939, A&P sold the business to Rudolph Kucera, its manager, who opened the next day as Rudy's Grocery.  Eventually, he had health problems and sold the business to James Butler of Merrick who took over in January 1947. Unfortunately, it appears that the store may not have done well as Butler was also employed doing odd jobs (painting, plumbing, electrical work) at the end of the year.  However, most successors in the building continued in the grocery business.  West Sayville Food Center was there from about 1964 to late in the 1970s (see photo at 59) . Currently, West Sayville Cleaners occupy the site.

 

 

West Sayville - Main Street, North Side, # 65 - 81

(buildings numbered by today's numbers; may not agree with original)

 

 

 

Brandt Building (middle),corner of Main & Cherry Street before 1930

 

 

Postcard from collection of William R. Leigh-Manuell

 

# 79, Brandt Building:  Brothers Henry and Lewis Brandt  were, generally, in business together.  They were among the founders of Ocean Beach and for many years had a seasonal fish and bait  store there.  In November 1901, they had this building built at the northeast corner of Main and Cherry Streets (later called Cherry Avenue).  Lewis opened the. primarily, grocery market, about the first of the year.  In order to attract customers, he used frequent raffles, giving away a watch, a turkey, whatever.  In 1907, the Independence League began meeting in the rooms on the second floor but that may have been short-lived because he closed the store on March 2 ...On June 5th,1908 barber Henry Wrieth from Lindenhurst,  who several years earlier had taken the small nearby shop of Captain Mott and was regarded as the "village barber", occupied the quarters with his family.  He immediately opened an ice cream saloon in the rear of the barber shop and several weeks later added a line of men's clothing (ties, shirts, and hose). At some point, he also added a pool table. Haircuts were 20 cents, children 15 and shaves 10.  In the summer of 1915, he sold the business to Garritt Van Houten who dropped dead very suddenly in November...In December, Cornelius Zegel took over the ice cream and confectionery; his family lived upstairs...In April 1920, he was succeeded by Ray Mulder, a confectioner from Bayport, also with family upstairs.  On March 29, 1922  the Mulders departed and the A & P moved in and remained for seven years. On March 29, 1929, it  temporarily relocated to the nearby Westerbeke Building until its new location at 61 was completed in April 1931.  The Brandt Building was later moved  to the rear of the new A & P store and the brothers built a new one (see following) on the corner  for Thomas Roulston's Food Stores.

 

  

West Sayville - Main Street, North Side, # 81

(buildings numbered by today's numbers; may not agree with original)

 

 

 

S.T. Green & Son Country Store; Post Office was in rear addition,

1915-1922

 

Postcard from collection of the Sayville Library

# 81, S.T. Green & Son:    In 1786, the State permitted the Nicoll's Estate to sell some of its land patent to pay its debts.  John Green of Huntington purchased the property between Green's Creek  and Morris Brook extending from the Bay to one mile north of South Country Roads (now Main Street), that now encompasses West Sayville, for about three dollars an acre.  Samuel Terry Green inherited this and divided his holdings into small plots.  He made his first sale in 1865 to William Tucker for a home on Main Street.  The same year, Green built a general  store on the northwest corner of Main and Cherry Street (now Avenue), which his son, Samuel Petit Green, continued to operate after his death November 18, 1883. The store, in fact, was much more than a "General Store".  There was the customary retail stock (food, clothing, house wares) but, most notably in their earlier years,  the Greens also bought and sold oysters and other sea food for wholesale reshipment, either for food or (menhaden) for fertilizer. Additionally, banks did not offer mortgages in those days and the Greens were able to provide financing (6% was fairly standard rate) for baymen and other families who purchased their small lots and built their own houses, mostly near or on the banks of Green's Creek or the Bay shore. Thus, the store also benefited from the purchases of nearby customers.   And, overall, since the Greens were knowledgeable in Dutch customs and language, the store become a social center for the immigrants in an area where there were few other businesses at the time.  Nevertheless, as the population grew, not only among the seafaring community but also from those expanding agricultural pursuits, and as local business increased, the store and its importance gradually moderated.  However, in conjunction with his many other activities  - President, Oystermen's Bank; member, Board of Education; organist and choir director - Samuel P. Green maintained and directed it until his death May 31, 1936. George C. Ross purchased the business in August 1938 and operated until about 1950.  However, the property, itself, had been left to Green's cousin, John Bates, who then had the building floated over to Fire Island.

 

Return to Start of Page

 

West Sayville - Main Street, North Side, # 65 - 75

(buildings numbered by today's numbers; may not agree with original)

 

 

Main Street, north side, east from Cherry Avenue, 1965 from right, #  61 to 75

 

Photo from collection of Tony Brinkmann

#65 - 79:    From the corner of Cherry Avenue to the east, the seven stores were all built in the years 1928 through 1932. Starting from the right side (behind the West Sayville Pharmacy  station wagon.

 #65: Built by Michael Rocco, was completed in July 1928 for Rocco's Fruit Market, across  Main Street from Benjamin's Lunch Room.  In August 1929, Frank Gravina's West Sayville Shoe Repair  became the occupant  and was replaced in July 1933 by Richard Schraml's Fruit and Vegetable Market.  In 1939 it was still a fruit and vegetable market.  However,  from 1950 through 1968 it was the very popular Bill Luce's Dugout;  its Breyer Ice Cream emblems decorate the front in the photo above. Today, it houses Brock's Bar & Grill..

 #67:  This smaller property, part of John Mott estate, with a frontage 20 feet and depth of 50 feet, was completed about June 1930 and bought by H.C. Auringer who had been operating next door to the west for almost two years and who moved to this location and stayed until his death  March 23, 1938. Harold Archer had sold models here later on. Later tenants included Harold Archer's Model Store, Klamfess Glass, Dorothy Kaan's West Sayville Valet in 1957 and from 1964 to 1996 Jo-Art Photographers, which then returned to Main Street, Sayville.  

  #69 - 71:    This one level. two-store and office building built by Paul N. Westerbeke, variously referred to as the Westfree or Rudolph Building, was completed in 1928.  Initially 69 was occupied by H.C Auringer  who had come here as a Navy Chief Petty Officer with the Naval Detachment stationed locally  during  WWI and then opened a radio and electrical equipment store. In 1931, he purchased and relocated to the new building next door at 67; he was replaced by the Post Office which moved from the Barfoot block on August 11, 1930 and remained until on October 4, 1946 when it moved to its own new building at 59.  It, in turn, was replaced by Connelly's Hardware....71 West Sayville Hardware  was, briefly, the first occupant followed in March 1929 by the A. & P. for while it was waiting for its new store to be completed at 71 in 1931.  Paradise Confectionery  followed by Whites Sweet Shop  were here and then Bialer's Sylvia Shop opened  in July 1932 and moved on to Sayville in May 1935.  Others that followed included a Kay's Dinette and Bunting's Textiles.

 #75: Heuther's Drug Store:   Completed in late 1931, this building opened as Heuther's Drug Store, owned by Alfred B. Heuther of Richmond Hill.  In 1948, it was purchased by William Edelman and Harry Altschul and became West Sayville Pharmacy; over the years management evolved to Murray Sander.  Since about 1998, it has been the site of Sayville Bike Works.

 

West Sayville - Main Street, North Side, # 77 - 79

 

(buildings numbered by today's numbers; may not agree with original)

 

 

 

Dutch Door Realty, 1972 (banked by # 75 and # 79)

 

 

Image by Henry Betjmann, courtesy of Ann Azzinaro

#77, Dutch Door Realty:   Constructed sometime after all neighbors mentioned here, probably in the late 1930s or early 1940s, this store was built on a small pie-shaped lot separating 75 and 79; children had previously enjoyed  that lot playing hide-and-seek.  Cornelius S. (Case) Hoek  was probably the first tenant from November 1945 until September 1948 when he sold his insurance business to Percy Hoek and moved away; however, George Steinbach with Metropolitan Life might have preceded him.  Richard J. VanHine Jewelers occupied the store from about  1950 to 1966...James J. Radigan of Sayville had joined the marketing department of Exxon in 1956; as his retirement approached, on August 4, 1972 he founded Dutch Door Realty and located it  here where it remained for a little more than five years until he purchased another building at 59 Main and moved down the street (see 59) .

#79 Long Island Boat & Motor Sales (to the left above but not shown):   After  the Brandt Building was moved in April 1931, Philip Westerbeke built a new building on the corner for the Brandt Brothers; originally it was intended to be a double store but was converted to a single larger unit for the new tenant, Thomas Roulston Food Stores,  which opened on June 26, 1931 but suddenly closed in March 1932... An offshoot of Charles Stein's Bridgeport Motor Agency and his sons' boat sales, about 1934 Fred Stein opened a showroom here for Long Island Boat & Motor Sales. The business offered row boats, sail boats, tenders, Chris-Crafts, marine engines and supplies as well as "used" boats.  It remained at this location until about 1963 when it shifted to a warehouse and yard at 23 River Street on Brown's Creek, Sayville that had been purchased by the Steins in 1941 from E. Bailey & Sons. In 1964,  the name was changed to Stein Marine; boat sales remain at this address but the boat yard, railways and boat storage are now at the Stein Ferry Complex at 41 River Road (close to recently acquired Doug Weston's Boatyard).  In West Sayville, Pic Rentals, owned by Herbert Small and Patrick Mascarelli, took over the store and remained until about 1993; their feature item was Snapper Lawn Mowers. Perfect Cup Coffee House followed in 2000 and Raymond James & Associates,  a diversified financial services company, is the present occupant..

 

West Sayville - Main Street, South Side, # 80 - 84

(buildings numbered by today's numbers; may not agree with original)

 

 

Tucker and VanPopering Post Offices, about 1897

 

 

Tucker Building, 1910

 

Postcard and photo from collection of Long Island Maritime Museum

 Post Office:  Prior to 1891, West Sayville was known as Greenville.  However, when the Community decided to apply for a Post Office assignment, it discovered another Greenville upstate.  Consequently,  interested residents met in Dingman VanPopering's confectionery on May 13 to select a new name. "Tuckertown" was suggested by residents south of Main and "Rabbit City"  by those north; final agreement was reached on "West Sayville" and application was made to the U.S. Postal Department.  

# 84, Dingman VanPopering's Confectionery:   VanPopering was nominated as first Postmaster.  In the summer of 1894 he contracted paralysis and Samuel P. Green took over postal duties and relocated the Office to his store.  In April 1895, the VanPopering store became the first location in West Sayville to have a telephone; it was connected to Sayville Central. VanPopering died at age 61 in December 1897.  In March 1911,  Mrs. VanPopering  sold the building to Steigerwald Brothers who, in June, moved it to  their property on North Main Street, Sayville near the railroad tracks where they intended to use it as a tenement.  

 # 80, Richard Tucker's Post Office:  Richard C.  Tucker, whose father,  William (Willem) Tucker, had bought the first individual lot from Samuel T. Green in 1865, initially followed the Bay but in 1895 had a store of his own built next door to Dingman VanPopering. It opened June 1, apparently offering about the same line of products as his neighbor - tobacco, ice cream and candy - but also became the Post Office after Tucker received his formal appointment from Washington as Postmaster in June 1897; he remained so for the next 18 years until he failed a Postal; Department examination. Upstairs, he had large room for public meetings, concerts and other entertainments; later motion pictures were added. In 1901 he put up an addition so that he could also offer a billiard parlor and smoking room; at times,  Republicans also had a clubroom in the rear.  In 1905 Tucker added electric lights and in 1906 the store became the terminal for Henry Remmer's stage to Sayville and to the railroad station.  An occasional activity at the store was  to host periodic visits from such collectors as the Town of Islip Receiver of Taxes,  a Long Island Lighting Company agent, or someone appointed to receive rental fees for oyster lots under the Bay; each would come and sit in the store for a day, receiving their payments.  A balcony was added to the second floor in 1909. In early 1914,  Tucker, for about $ 2,000 or $ 25 a front foot, acquired  a lot with 81 feet on the west corner of Main Street extending 200 feet down Atlantic; his building was moved to the new location in April. He then made many improvements to both store and property. In late 1915, a new Post Office was built as an addition on the back of Samuel P. Green's store and George Ross, having succeeded Tucker as Postmaster,  took the Office there on January 1st, 1916.

(continued on Main Street - # 100 - 108)

 

West Sayville - Main Street, South Side, # 100 - 108

(buildings numbered by today's numbers; may not agree with original)

 

 

Tucker Block, about 1916

 

 

 

Barfoot Block with Beauty Shop, Barber Shop, and
Meat Market, about 1930

 

Gassert's Bait & Tackle Shop, about 1980

 

 

Postcards from collection of (top left) Tony Brinkmann, (top right) Sayville Library and bottom from The Suffolk County News
 

(continued from Main Street # 80 - 84)

 # 100 - 102, Tucker's Store:    After Richard Tucker was relieved of his Postmaster position, he decided to expand his product line and become a more "general" store. In April 1917, he built three new stores, attached to his original on the west side.  Unfortunately, he died of cancer February 6, 1919 and  in July 1921 Mrs. Henry Haer bought the block (including the additional stores) from Mrs. Tucker for her two sons, Henry and Otto, who took possession August 1.  Actually, Otto was the major figure running the store because Henry had an auto supply station in Morristown, New Jersey and was only here intermittently. In  the spring of 1922, Albert Van Essendelft, the new Postmaster, moved the Post Office back to the Haer store from S.P. Green's.  Original plans were for it to take over the former pool room but apparently that provided insufficient space, necessitating construction of a glass enclosed addition on the east side to accomodate  the ice cream saloon and its new soda fountain...In November 1924, Otto Haer sold the property to Fred M. Ryder of Patchogue; his brother-in-law, Leon Dininny, operated the main store for a brief period before re-selling  the stock, fixtures and goods to English immigrant Harry Barfoot of Patchogue in August 1925.  In November 1929, Barfoot had deeper cellars dug so that the adjacent store entrance levels could be brought down to street level. On August 11, 1930, the Post Office moved east and across to 71 in the new Westerbeke Building and the West Sayville Republican Club leased the vacated space for a permanent clubroom; it had been meeting twice a month in the Civic Hall (Tyler Avenue, behind First Reformed Church).  On October 1, Barfoot purchased the entire Block including his own store, the Clubroom, beauty shop and meat market from Fred Ryder; Ryder then sold the remaining small piece on the west end on June 26, 1931 to Henry Varone for his barber shop.  At about this time, Barfoot also decided to further expand his lines of merchandise, adding an eclectic mix of products ranging from Mayflower electric refrigerators to acting as an agent for United Hosiery Repair Company (Patchogue), repairing ladies silk hosiery. Harry Barfoot retired and sold  everything to Albert Attanasio on July 11, 1947; in declining health, he passed away on New Year's Day 1952. Successive tenants in the 1960s-1980s have included Gassert's Tackle Shop,  several eating establishments, Special Tees shirts and lawyer Bruce Bandes.  Long-time tenant Peter Sluiter's Fairways Meat market occupied 108 from about 1942 to 1968. The big store (102) has been a branch of R & G Brenner Income Tax since about 2005; Mr. Nick's Barber is in 100, West Sayville Flowers has been in 104 since 1993, and American Cheese for several years.

 

 

West Sayville - Main Street, North Side, # 101

(buildings numbered by today's numbers; may not agree with original)

 

 

Tyler Homestead, 1920s

 

Postcard from collection of the Sayville Library

# 101, Tyler Homestead / Meier's Hotel:  The house was built by Captain William Tyler, probably in the 1870s or 1880s. The Captain having passed away (April 10, 1890 in Brooklyn ?), wife Sarah and daughter Carrie used it as a summer home.  In November 1890, Mrs. Tyler opened a new street (Tyler Avenue) along her eastern property line with Samuel P. Green and offered lots for sale, which were rapidly sold.  In October 1893, she had a sizable addition built on to the homestead.  After her death in April 1894, Carrie remained in the house until January 1904 when she sold it to Town of Islip Supervisor John Westerbeke; he, in turn, sold it to Dr. Geoffrey Bourke in 1909.  (Dr. Bourke had had a summer cottage at the foot of Handsome Avenue in Sayville which he had recently relinquished to Frank Jones.)  Bourke made many alterations and improvements in the house before he died in  January 1914.  His family sold the property to J. F. Wright of Hempstead in May 1917.  P.J. Grady acquired the house in April 1922,  moved in July 1 and continued living there until 1930 when he took a one-year lease on a house in Riviera Park.  While he was living there,  the ex-Tyler home was damaged by a fire on May 8, 1931.  In October 1932, George Meiers, who had been manager of Ralph Green's poultry farm, leased the building from Grady and opened Meier's Hotel, essentially a restaurant, which he and his wife operated until 1945.  Thereafter, management of the business changed frequently. From 1946 to 1948, it was O'Donnell's Hotel.  Thomas O'Donnell sold it to Herman Feltman of Ridgewood, Queens in March 1948; Feltman sold it in the spring of 1950 to John Kelly and Joe Evers and it became Kearney's Hotel;  after another sale ln June 1952,  the name became Buckley's Hotel. Buckley's had a fire February 17, 1956  and thereafter the West Sayville Department used it for practice purposes until it was finally torched for good on January 8, 1958.

 

West Sayville - Main Street, South Side, # 114 - 118

(buildings numbered by today's numbers; may not agree with original)

 

 

 First garage, 1919

 

 

Home-built tow truck, 1930s pre-war

 

Peter J. Grady, Jr, late 1940s, with "Home-built" Tow truck & post-war competition

 

 

P.J. Grady about  1947

 

P. J. Grady, both sides of Main Street, about 1960

 

 

All photos above courtesy of Robert Grady

# 118, P. J. Grady Peter J. Grady was born in Ireland and came to the New York in 1908. In 1917, he went into a brief automobile service partnership with Richard K. Fendall on West Main Street in Sayville.  The partnership was dissolved in July 1918 when Grady purchased  the home and property of Edward Edwards on the corner of West Avenue in West Sayville; the land had frontage of 162 feet on Main Street and a depth of 180 on West Avenue.  He immediately began construction of a new service garage mid-block on Main Street and, after having it electrified, he and his family moved into the Edwards Homestead next door. In August 1921, the business was appointed agency for Buick automobiles.  In April 1922, he acquired more property on the north side of the street, buying the original Tyler Homestead from J. Frank Wright, moving into it, and selling the Edward Edwards house (for removal) to Paul N. Westerbeke. In December 1925, he took title to 21 Main, the Goodrich house,  but soon passed it on to become part of Russell J. Perrine's Riviera Park development.  In May 1927, it was announced that P.J. Grady would build an additional garage on the site of the old Edward Homestead; it would be  50 feet wide on Main Street, 100 feet deep ( inclusive of a 50 x 50 foot auto showroom), have a significant basement and be fronted with tapestry brick. It was completed and opened in November.  The older garage was then used as storage for used cars; gas pumps were relocated from the old to the front of the new garage and three grades of gas were available. However, the gasoline business was eventually sold to W. B. Wardley who transferred it to the Rohm Garage at Main and Garfield in Sayville in December 1932. In October 1930,  Chevrolet was added as a dealership.  In the 1930s, car accidents and breakdowns were many and there  were no commercially available tow trucks so Grady constructed one of his own which proved very good for business  (shown above alone and then with others produced after the War). On May 8, 1931, while the Gradys were temporarily living away in Riviera Park, there was a fire in the Tyler House and they decided not to return.  Consequently, in  October 1932, it was leased by George Meiers who, followed by several other lessees (see Tyler Homestead), ran it, primarily as a restaurant, until February 17, 1956 when there was another fire. Thereafter, the Fire Department used the house for practice sessions until It was finally torched on Jamuary 8, 1958 and later replaced by the large gray building shown above.  Peter J. Grady died in August 1956 but the family has continued his operations.  When the auto companies mandated single dealerships, the Buick agency was sold in 1979 and, then, the Chevrolet one in 1982.  The Grady operation was then split between The Truck Shop , inaugurated in 1978 in the same grey building above and P. J. Grady DeLorean on the south side in 1980, the latter initially selling the cars themselves and more recently supplying parts and doing restoration.

 

West Sayville - Main Street, North Side, # 195

(buildings numbered by today's numbers; may not agree with original)

 

 

"Beintema Farm House" by Henry Betjemann

 

 

Southside Dairy Bottles, "They came to visit, not to stay"

 

Images provided (home) by Rosemarie VanWyen and (bottles) by Ronald Bush

# 195, John S. Beintema, Southside Dairy:  Up through the 1940s, dairies were not uncommon; in 1944, there were still at least six in Sayville and West Sayville most on Broadway and Lincoln Avenues. Southside was the largest, serving 390 customers with a total of 590 quarts per day...John Beintema was born in Holland and came to New York at age 21.  He lived in Sayville and later Bayport (North Road on the east side of Sans Souci Lakes) before buying the William H. Strong Homestead in April 1909 which became the base for the  Southside Dairy. His entry into the milk business had been in 1899 when he bought out William Slater's home delivery route and was selling pure milk at six cents a quart. However, his dairy was never his only pursuit. In 1899, he had advertised that he had a "new, improved horse-clipping machine" and would clip, either at his farm or, in response to a postal, "at yours".  In 1908, from his home on the North Road, he was selling hay. In later years, he raised/sold vegetables on the West Sayville farm and also sold butter, eggs, sand and firewood.  He rented horses, "catering to doctors, for plowing  snow, etc" and, as an adjunct, was a general contractor for  excavating cellars, building roads and grading some large enterprises (e.g., Telefunken).  He was able to mobilize work forces of 20 or 30, if needed, and ran for the post of Superintendent of Highways. Starting in 1914, he also ran a daily stage to a Patchogue for ladies working at the lace mill.  In 1922, planning to increase the size of his herd, he built a bigger silo.  John Beintema died on September 6, 1938. However, his family continued the businesses, including seasonally operating a roadside stand and accepting telephone orders for farm produce.  In 1941, they constructed a new dairy building with a complete pasteurizing system.  However, major dairy operations ceased in 1957 and were replaced by  establishment of the Peerless Lawn Mower & Engine Service, which rented and sold agricultural equipment (e.g. roto-tillers) and the West Sayville Marine Service, which offered inside storage for small boats.  In 1976, this had become the  location of  Barn Antiques.   Later, the farm house was demolished and a senior citizens' home replaced it.

  

West Sayville - Montauk Highway, North Side, # 245

(buildings numbered by today's numbers; may not agree with original)

 

 

Charles E. Raynor, President, Ralph A. Reid, Vice-President and Gilbert J. D'Andrea,
Secretary- Treasurer in front of the new home for Raynor's Funeral Service, 1971

 

Photo courtesy of Richard  D'Andrea

# 245, Raynor & D'Andrea:   Charles Raynor and family moved from Southampton to Sayville in the  1840s, making a home about where the Four Star Home Store is now ( see  Sayville Main Street: North Side). He had been in the fishery business but later opened a butcher shop and then, in 1874, founded an undertaking establishment. In 1888, the Raynor Block of stores was constructed and the Raynor undertaking business  was in the last store on the west end, adjacent to his home across the driveway. One of his sons, Woodhull, grew up with the mortuary, the sample monuments in the front yard, and the granite works in the back.  Upon his father's death in April 1899, he took over. In 1927, his son, Lewis, assumed management but passed away in 1933, leaving his wife Emma in charge.  In 1931, the operation had been relocated to a new building, prepared with a more formal chapel, at 176 Main Street, Sayville.  Emma was succeeded by Charles II who assumed control but, in March 1942, enlisted in the Navy.  After the War, he came back to the business, having been run in his absence by Mark Crosier.  In 1967, he hired Gilbert D'Andrea, just back from the Vietnam War, to assist him; D'Andrea became a partner in 1969. When Charles II retired in 1979, his son, Charles III became part owner and President.  In 1970, the organization purchased land that had been occupied by the Martini & Mates Real Estate and constructed a new building specifically designed to be a funeral home to meet its expanding business. The new premises had six chapels, modern preparation rooms, lounges, and a casket showroom featuring 20 units and it remains  headquarters today. In 1994, Raynor & D'Andrea acquired the Bayport-Blue Point Funeral Home.  In 1996, Richard D'Andrea, Gil's son, joined the firm and in 2004, purchased the business.

 

West Sayville - Washington Avenue, # 12 - 14

(buildings numbered by today's numbers; may not agree with original)

 

 

U.S. Post Office & Ellas Market, 2013

 

Photo by Webb N. Morrison

#12, U.S. Post Office:   Prior to 1891, West Sayville was variously known as "Greenville" or "Tuckertown" after Samuel T. Greene or Richard C. Tucker, each of whom were early shop owners.  In 1891, the townspeople decided to apply to the Federal Government for a Post Office assignment and found another "Greenville" upstate.  Consequently, interested residents met in Dingman VanPopering's confectionery on May 13 to select  another name. "Tuckertown" was suggested by residents south of Main and "Rabbit City" by those north; final agreement was reached on "West Sayville" and application was made to the Postal Department.  Dingman VanPopering was nominated as first Postmaster and a "Post Office" was established in his store. However, in June 1894, he contracted paralysis and the Post Office moved on to Samuel T. Green's store.  After that,  it turned out to be a mover, either because of Postmaster preferences or the need for more space. Richard Tucker was formally appointed Postmaster in June 1897 and the office moved to his store in June  where it remained for 18 years.  Following that, it went to Samuel Green's store January 1, 1916; to the Ryder Building  on May 12, 1922; to the Westerbeke Building on August 11, 1930; to its own building at 59 Main, October 4, 1946; and to 12 Washington Avenue on May 29, 1958 where, surprisingly, it  still remains more than 55 years later...Among the highlights, in April 1914, it advanced from 4th to 3rd Class ; it graduated from 3rd to 2nd class July 1, 1945;  and on July 20,1955, "City" (Home) delivery was authorized as soon as house numbering was completed.  In October 1954, the West Sayville Fire Department had requested all residents and businesses to put numbers on their buildings , not only to expedite calls but also for mail delivery.

#14, Ella's Market:   The market has been a companion to the Post Office since the building was completed.  Initially, it was Woods Deli and Grocery.

 

West Sayville - Cherry Street (now Avenue)

 

 

Telefunken Wireless Station, about 1920

 

Postcard from collection of the Sayville Library

Telefunken Wireless Company, west of Cherry Street, above Tracks: The Company, a joint venture of Siemens, Halske, and the General Electricity Company - all engaged, as was Marconi in Britain, in wireless pursuits - was founded in Berlin in May 1903.  In May 1911, already a supplier to the U.S. Navy,  it bought 77 acres of the Fraser farm as a foothold in this Country.  Initially, it constructed a 480 foot mast, which could be raised and lowered, and asked local architect I.H. Green to design a two-story brick building 45 x 100 feet for operations. Bids were then requested from local contractors.  The project, directed by the Atlantic Communications Company (Telefunken's American branch), was completed by October but communications  with Europe were delayed pending completion of its 4,000-mile away German counterpart at Nauen near Berlin; however, locally, it was able to contact ships at sea if they had Telefunken apparatus.  The Company also hoped that the increased power (400 hp + electric output of 80 watts) installed at the Station would permit communication with Paris, the Rocky Mountains in the U.S. and German colonies in Brasil and Africa.  Trans-Atlantic communication was achieved in January 1913.  Although the local people had much to do with the basic construction, the officers and crew were initially German with the addition - almost from the beginning of WWI - of U.S. Navy censors.  Unfortunately, the censors were understaffed and there was definitely a question of their efficacy.  Additionally, there was the possibility that simple messages could have a double-meaning. The suspicion continues to exist that a message to "get Lucy" was sent from the local station, resulting in the sinking of the RMS Lusitania with loss of over 1,100 lives on May 7, 1915. Following this, the Navy augmented the complement in early June and on July 8 the U.S. Government took full control of the entire operation. Two more towers, inaugurated on July 15, further extended the power and reach of the station; they also reduced the cost of messages to Berlin from 75 to 50 cents a word.  Nevertheless, the activities later appeared to have an indirect affect upon the U.S. neutrality; important members of the local staff were sent to Mexico for Telefunken operations there.  On Jauary 16, 1917, the German Foreign Secretary, Arthur Zimmerman, sent a telegram to his ambassador in Mexico, directing him to encourage the Mexican Government to declare war on the U.S. if that Country appeared likely to enter the war, promising Mexico future annexation of Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. The message was intercepted by British intelligence, enraged the U.S. populace, and encouraged President Wilson to send a contingent of 125 Marines to take over the Telefunken Station. After the War, in November 1919  it was opened to public inspection for the first time as a Red Cross benefit but then had little use until July 1928 when Mackay Radio assumed control; after much remodelling, it provided ship-to-shore radio service starting in May 1929. Operation later passed to the CAA and then the FAA; in mid-1995, the establishment was decommissioned and eventually replaced by the Baymen Soccer Field.

 

 Return to Start of Page