Additional Assistance

Mortgage Relief Assistance

What are my relief options?

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has created a fantastic guide for those who are struggling to pay their mortgages as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. You can visit the guide below:
CFPB Guide to Mortgage Relief Options

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development has also constructed a useful FAQ to answer some of the most common questions regarding the mortgage relief options. You can read the FAQ using the link below:
Mortgage Assistance from Department of Housing & Urban Development

Questions or concerns?

The Long Island Housing Services has dozens of resources and guides to help you answer your housing questions. You can also schedule to speak with a counselor by email or phone:



Renter Assistance

Do I have to still pay rent if I have a loss of income?

Yes. You are still responsible for rent payment during the COVID-19 pandemic. Speak with your landlord about possible rent reduction options.

Can I be evicted for missing my rent?

At the time of writing, the Department of Housing and Urban Development has declared that evictions solely for non-payment of rent have been temporarily suspended until July 25th, 2020. For more information, visit the Renter Guide from the Dept of HUD.

Temporary Housing Assistance

Social Services Center

If you are experiencing homelessness, or in danger of becoming homeless, you should contact the Social Services Center immediately for assistance. They can be reached at (631) 854-9100 or at their local branch (see below).

Smithtown Social Services Center
200 Wireless Boulevard
Hauppauge, NY 11788
(631) 853-8714

Family Service League

The FSL of Long Island’s network of homeless shelters will remain open throughout the pandemic. Shelters provide food, housing and essentials to families and individuals experiencing homelessness. For more information, visit the Family Service League’s Housing & Homeless Services website.

Non-Parent Child Care Assistance

Non-parent caregivers (grandparents, friends, and other relatives) for children living without a parent in their home may be eligible for temporary medical, financial, nutritional, and other forms of assistance.

To apply for assistance, contact the local Social Services Center:
Smithtown Social Services Center
200 Wireless Boulevard
Hauppauge, NY 11788
(631) 853-8714

For more information on Non-Parent Child Care Assistance, please visit the New York State Kinship Navigator website.



Nutrition Assistance

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

SNAP provides assistance for those experiencing financial strain in purchasing food. For more information or to apply, visit SNAP.

Food Pantries

Greater Sayville Food Pantry Hours of Operation:
Gillette House, 47 Gillette Ave 9:30am – 12:30pm
Sayville, NY 11782 Tue, Wed, Fri
(631) 244-8375

St. Lawrence the Martyr Hours of Operation:
27 Handsome Ave 10am – 12pm
Sayville, NY 11782 Wednesdays
(631) 589-6155

Our Lady of the Snow Hours of Operation:
175 Blue Point Rd 10am – 1pm
Blue Point, NY 11715 Mon – Thur
(631) 363-2417

More Food Pantries can be found using the LI Cares Food Locator

Soup Kitchens

Sayville Soup Kitchen Hours of Operation:
131 Middle Road 5:30 – 6:30pm
Sayville, NY 11782 Mon – Thur

Emergency Food Delivery

Long Island Cares is offering a mobile home delivery service for those affected by the pandemic. To be assessed for qualification in the program, contact Long Island Cares by phone (631-582-3663 x 109) or email

United Way Long Island

The United Way has partnered with the Long Island Voluntary Organizations Active in Disasters network to create United Together, a support network to help those low-income households that have been unemployed or furloughed due to the COVID-19 pandemic meet their critical needs for food and household supplies.

You can apply online at the United Together website.



Utilities & Cellular Device Assistance


PSEG Long Island and National Grid have temporarily suspended shut-offs of electric service to all residential customers for non-payment as well as waived all new late fee payments until further notice. For PSEG Long Island customers, visit their COVID-19 response page. For National Grid customers, visit their COVID-19 Updates page.


The Home Energy Assistance Program is available to provide assistance for those experiencing financial hardships to heat their homes. For more information on HEAP, please visit the NY Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance’s HEAP page or contact your local HEAP office:

Suffolk County Department of Social Services
200 Wireless Boulevard
Hauppauge, NY 11788
(631) 853-8825


Optimum's Altice Advantage program, which provides free internet access to households with a student displaced due to the COVID-19 pandemic, for two months. For further information, visit the Altice Advantage Internet website.

Verizon and AT&T have temporarily suspended charging late fees or terminating service to those experiencing financial hardships due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In order to qualify for these benefits, you must first fill a short form requesting assistance from the businesses’ respective website. Verizon’s can be found on their COVID-19 FAQ page under “Important Policy Information and Special Offers.” AT&T’s assistance request form can be found here.

Cell Service

Sprint and T-Mobile customers on a metered internet plan will unlimited data until June 30, 2020. If you are experiencing financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic and cannot make payment, you may apply for payment arrangement assistance. For more information, visit Sprint or T-Mobile COVID-19 Response pages.


The Suffolk County Water Authority has temporarily suspended all shut-offs of service due to nonpayment as well as suspended all collections until further notice. For more information, visit the SCWA COVID-19 Policy Changes site.



Student Loan Assistance

Am I still responsible for loan payments?

Under the CARES Act, all federal student loans have been automatically placed in forbearance from March 13, 2020 to January 31, 2021. You may continue to make payments during this period if you so choose.

For more information, visit the Federal Student Aid Coronavirus Guide.



Burial Assistance

If you do not have the necessary funds for basic funeral costs of a family member, you may be eligible for burial assistance with the Department of Social Services.

To apply for burial assistance, you must first complete the Indigent Burial Assistance Application. You must be approved by the Department of Social Services before funds are provided to the funeral home.