Sayville Library's Sustainability Initiative
Sayville Library and its Board of Trustees will support principles that ensure a resilient, sustainable community and library for all its residents. The Library understands what measures we have taken so far are only a first step in a larger sustainability initiative that is underway in many libraries throughout New York State, as well as nation-wide. We are now committed to a “triple bottom line” definition of sustainability: environmentally sound, economically feasible, and socially equitable.
Through a wide range of actions, both large and small, the Library will show its commitment to our sustainability goals. You can check here to follow us along our sustainability journey and see all the different actions we have taken toward this.
- Solar Panels: to date we have saved well over 1 million pounds of carbon dioxide emissions and are approaching an energy savings of 1 million kilowatt hours.
- LED lighting: throughout the building, every light fixture has been changed to LED bulbs, reducing our carbon footprint.
- Water bottle refill stations: saving over 13,000 plastic water bottles being used.
- Geothermal heat pump system for heating and cooling: not a drop of oil or gas has ever been used.
- Environmentally friendly landscaping: We use only organic treatments and naturally disease and pest resistant species.